One week until the best time of year

CharBroiled

For me, it all started when I was 11 years old in the fall of 1988.

My parents wouldn't allow me to take my Hunter's Safety course as a fifth grader, when you could take it without having a parent present. Not a big deal to me, I enrolled in the class during the fall in sixth grade and complete the course from the greatest Hunter's Safety instructor to ever teach the class, Jim Unruh. I learned more in those classes, twice a week for three hours a night over the course of a month or so than I thought was possible.

Being 11, I was only allowed to walk along, without a gun, with the big group we hunted with during the Opening Weekend in Nov. of '88. The following Friday afternoon, I finally got to experience my first hunt carrying a loaded gun. From the moment I saw two roosters flying by me with the almost setting sun at my back, glowing bright orange-red against the purple sky, the hunting bug had me deeply hooked. (For the record, I missed the shot.)

It's not about the killing. It's about everything else.

As I've gotten older, I truly appreciate everything which goes into the whole hunting experience. It's about the rekindling of old friendships from near and far as groups come together the day before, some of whom don't get together outside of the hunt. It's also about the making of new friends, people to whom you might not ever be introduced, because they share the same passion for the sport as you.

It's the retelling of tales, spinning of yarns, the busting of each other's chops from adventures with dubious endings. Some of the stories get retold from year to year; the laughs are heartier even though the story ends the same. It’s about missing those who have passed, like my father, fondly remembering their exploits or their gaffes with face-splitting smiles.

It's about the nod and a friendly wave to those people who are traveling up on I-135, pickups loaded with dog boxes, a hint of blaze orange in the window. Hunters get it and with the simplest of gestures, respect is conveyed and the underlying "good luck, stay safe."

It’s about a visit with a landowner, asking permission. Some are old friends and the request is just an excuse to catch up. Some are new landowners and the answer is no. We thank them for the time and move on, wistfully wishing for what might have been.

There is nothing like watching a dog working in front of you, quartering back and forth, suddenly snapping perfectly rigid. The adrenaline rush begins as you move into position, with the knowledge this pooch sees or smells something you can't, culminating in a burst of feathers, buzzing wings and cackles, as the smell of spent gunpowder soon hangs in the air.

It's about watching honor pointing dogs, lock up because another dog is on point thanks to the proper training, instinct and possibly an unspoken canine agreement. The dogs with which we hunt seem to light up after their work has been rewarded when a pheasant goes into the game bag. I've even seen a dog look over its shoulder at an owner who missed a rooster, fixing him with a look of disbelief and a glare of frustration.

It's about standing in the Kansas countryside, enjoying places in the world which are only affected by farming, nature and the passage of time.

It’s about seeing traditions being passed down to younger generations. It may be a shared pre-hunt meal, or a post hunt feast where the hunt is recapped and the teasing is good-natured. It’s even about scanning the weather forecast during the days prior to the opener, hoping for scenting conditions and a healthy chill in the air.

There is nothing like pheasant hunting in Kansas. From the first cup of coffee in the darkness while the rest of the world sleeps to the hot, hearty supper served after a day afield, everything seems magical, year in and year out.

It's better than Christmas.

Great post! Makes me happy yet sad to read it.

I hunted in Kansas for the first time in 2018, and loved it, but chose to go to South Dakota last year. Things were a little too “commercialized” there for my taste so I decided to return to Kansas for 2020.

I’d spent nearly a year planning the trip. I’ve been running my dogs and putting in the personal miles for a month getting everyone in shape for opening week. Due to the shortage, I drove all over rounding up enough ammo for my 12, 16, and 20 gauge shotguns and changed out all the chokes for pheasant hunting. I even had custom blaze orange caps made for all the guys going with me. All that was left to do was buy my license and pack.

I started not feeling right this past Tuesday during the day, and was running fever by that night. I tested positive for COVID on Wednesday and am now quarantined for 14 days.

Between Thanksgiving, a niece’s upcoming wedding, going to the NFR (hopefully), and Christmas, my time is pretty much taken up until after New Year’s. So, I guess Kansas will have to wait until 2021.

Good luck to you and everyone else during the upcoming season! Make sure and post pictures on here so I can hunt vicariously through you and others.

Thanks!

There was no putting off getting tested. I went from the onset of symptoms to feeling like absolute crap in about 15 hours.

I feel like I’ve turned the corner as far as getting better, but I’m just really weak and have no stamina.

Those who are saying that COVID is no worse than a common cold either haven’t had it or they’re a lot younger than I am.

Great post Charbroiled. I saw myself thru the years as I read it. From going on my first big guys hunt to getting to take my son with my dad and I on our annual opening weekend big guys hunt. Lots of memories pouring out of my eyes now. Next year I will be back in the saddle and making new memories.

For me, it all started when I was 11 years old in the fall of 1988.

My parents wouldn't allow me to take my Hunter's Safety course as a fifth grader, when you could take it without having a parent present. Not a big deal to me, I enrolled in the class during the fall in sixth grade and complete the course from the greatest Hunter's Safety instructor to ever teach the class, Jim Unruh. I learned more in those classes, twice a week for three hours a night over the course of a month or so than I thought was possible.

Being 11, I was only allowed to walk along, without a gun, with the big group we hunted with during the Opening Weekend in Nov. of '88. The following Friday afternoon, I finally got to experience my first hunt carrying a loaded gun. From the moment I saw two roosters flying by me with the almost setting sun at my back, glowing bright orange-red against the purple sky, the hunting bug had me deeply hooked. (For the record, I missed the shot.)

It's not about the killing. It's about everything else.

As I've gotten older, I truly appreciate everything which goes into the whole hunting experience. It's about the rekindling of old friendships from near and far as groups come together the day before, some of whom don't get together outside of the hunt. It's also about the making of new friends, people to whom you might not ever be introduced, because they share the same passion for the sport as you.

It's the retelling of tales, spinning of yarns, the busting of each other's chops from adventures with dubious endings. Some of the stories get retold from year to year; the laughs are heartier even though the story ends the same. It’s about missing those who have passed, like my father, fondly remembering their exploits or their gaffes with face-splitting smiles.

It's about the nod and a friendly wave to those people who are traveling up on I-135, pickups loaded with dog boxes, a hint of blaze orange in the window. Hunters get it and with the simplest of gestures, respect is conveyed and the underlying "good luck, stay safe."

It’s about a visit with a landowner, asking permission. Some are old friends and the request is just an excuse to catch up. Some are new landowners and the answer is no. We thank them for the time and move on, wistfully wishing for what might have been.

There is nothing like watching a dog working in front of you, quartering back and forth, suddenly snapping perfectly rigid. The adrenaline rush begins as you move into position, with the knowledge this pooch sees or smells something you can't, culminating in a burst of feathers, buzzing wings and cackles, as the smell of spent gunpowder soon hangs in the air.

It's about watching honor pointing dogs, lock up because another dog is on point thanks to the proper training, instinct and possibly an unspoken canine agreement. The dogs with which we hunt seem to light up after their work has been rewarded when a pheasant goes into the game bag. I've even seen a dog look over its shoulder at an owner who missed a rooster, fixing him with a look of disbelief and a glare of frustration.

It's about standing in the Kansas countryside, enjoying places in the world which are only affected by farming, nature and the passage of time.

It’s about seeing traditions being passed down to younger generations. It may be a shared pre-hunt meal, or a post hunt feast where the hunt is recapped and the teasing is good-natured. It’s even about scanning the weather forecast during the days prior to the opener, hoping for scenting conditions and a healthy chill in the air.

There is nothing like pheasant hunting in Kansas. From the first cup of coffee in the darkness while the rest of the world sleeps to the hot, hearty supper served after a day afield, everything seems magical, year in and year out.

It's better than Christmas.

Well written. Enjoyed reading that.

Hope you have a speedy recovery lbills.

Very well said. I will be re-reading this throughout the season.
I think you sum it up very nicely. While some years may result in more birds in the bag than others; pheasant hunting in Kansas is an experience. One I wouldn’t trade for any other.

When I go afield on the high plains of Kansas, I'm reminded of one of the reasons I like it: The extraordinary elbow room.

Will lock and load tomorrow for the happy hunting grounds in NW. Best of luck to all.

When I go afield on the high plains of Kansas, I'm reminded of one of the reasons I like it: The extraordinary elbow room.

Will lock and load tomorrow for the happy hunting grounds in NW. Best of luck to all.
Elbow room is a good way to put it. Sometimes I get to the top of a hill and you can see for 30 or 40 miles and I think about the folks who went through in wagons and I just wonder at their courage. Gorgeous country.

Great post! Makes me happy yet sad to read it.

I hunted in Kansas for the first time in 2018, and loved it, but chose to go to South Dakota last year. Things were a little too “commercialized” there for my taste so I decided to return to Kansas for 2020.

I’d spent nearly a year planning the trip. I’ve been running my dogs and putting in the personal miles for a month getting everyone in shape for opening week. Due to the shortage, I drove all over rounding up enough ammo for my 12, 16, and 20 gauge shotguns and changed out all the chokes for pheasant hunting. I even had custom blaze orange caps made for all the guys going with me. All that was left to do was buy my license and pack.

I started not feeling right this past Tuesday during the day, and was running fever by that night. I tested positive for COVID on Wednesday and am now quarantined for 14 days.

Between Thanksgiving, a niece’s upcoming wedding, going to the NFR (hopefully), and Christmas, my time is pretty much taken up until after New Year’s. So, I guess Kansas will have to wait until 2021.

Good luck to you and everyone else during the upcoming season! Make sure and post pictures on here so I can hunt vicariously through you and others.
Hey, fellow hunter. You get well!!

Heading out to NW KS tomorrow afternoon to hunt through Monday.

Last year was my first year pheasant hunting and I didn't hunt much WIHA until Dec/Jan and never saw another hunter. How much busier should I expect it to be during opening weekend? Will be hunting Thomas/Sherman/Sheridan county area's

Good luck to everyone. I wish it was a little colder, but the mornings should still be nice. Afternoons might be rough.

Heading out to NW KS tomorrow afternoon to hunt through Monday.

Last year was my first year pheasant hunting and I didn't hunt much WIHA until Dec/Jan and never saw another hunter. How much busier should I expect it to be during opening weekend? Will be hunting Thomas/Sherman/Sheridan county area's

I've never hunted those counties. Where I do hunt, for the most part, if you're not hunting the field at first light, its a 90% chance that somebody else has already hunted that field before you. Often times we have a field in mind, get there, and there is already a party hunting in it, so we move on to another one.

I'll be heading out the second week of December for my 3rd trip to KS. Hoping one of these years I will get it figured out.

Thanks!

There was no putting off getting tested. I went from the onset of symptoms to feeling like absolute crap in about 15 hours.

I feel like I’ve turned the corner as far as getting better, but I’m just really weak and have no stamina.

Those who are saying that COVID is no worse than a common cold either haven’t had it or they’re a lot younger than I am.

I currently have it and if my symptoms don't get worse I would say the common cold is usually worse on me than COVID has been. My girlfriend has it a bit worse than I do but her symptoms are close to the common cold as well. The lack of taste and smell is what is driving me crazy at the moment. I'm 31 years old and not really a pillar of health but so far I've been fairing quite well. Hopefully I don't have any lasting symptoms that keep my from my trip in December.

I currently have it and if my symptoms don't get worse I would say the common cold is usually worse on me than COVID has been. My girlfriend has it a bit worse than I do but her symptoms are close to the common cold as well. The lack of taste and smell is what is driving me crazy at the moment. I'm 31 years old and not really a pillar of health but so far I've been fairing quite well. Hopefully I don't have any lasting symptoms that keep my from my trip in December.
I’m 20 years older than you are. From what I’m hearing, the older you are the worse it is for you.

I’m 20 years older than you are. From what I’m hearing, the older you are the worse it is for you.
I've heard the same, unfortunately even at my age I'm what is considered a high risk individual so I am thankful things have been mild.

Back