One Tough Fall ? More to Follow ?

BRITTMAN

back-to-back rough winters and now this ?

The NDG&F game management areas along the Missouri River are flooded out. The floods will last long enough to cause permanent damage to the grasslands ...

http://gf.nd.gov/multimedia/ndoutdoors/issues/2011/july/docs/2011-july.pdf

These areas receive plenty of hunting pressure and offer plenty of opportunity for success especially to resident hunters. Lack of this land and the pheasants that lived on them will result in displacement of hunters to other areas will cause crowding in areas previously less crowded.

The same issue of ND Outdoors also talks about the demise of CRP in NoDak.

I guess that's why it's called "hunting"! We will just have to wait for fall. No matter what I am going. For me it's watching the dogs work, friends and just plain getting away to hunt.

lazlo

anyone here ever go hunting on Standing Rock IR? season license is $100 and you can shoot 5 pheasants daily......wondering what the downside is?

Those flood plains will be nothing but mud flats once the water recedes. But the grasslands will return, probably very well. Lots of seed in that silt. Weeds too.

Read the article. The weeds will come first and with a vengence. Kochia is king on receding shorelines along the MO and its reservoirs.

Lasko - pockets of birds - some hunters will not know the difference especially on private land. Those that hunt public land may see more pressure / competition because of the 100,000s acres lost this fall along the river - those people will reposition somewhere or simply not hunt much this fall.

anyone here ever go hunting on Standing Rock IR? season license is $100 and you can shoot 5 pheasants daily......wondering what the downside is?

Hey Hunt give-em a call and see how the birds are there. We should spend the $ and give it a shot for a day or 2 not far from me.
Also if we go we should go on the SD side. I have land to hunt close to me in SD and if the IR turns out bad we can hunt the land that I have available to me. That would be a change up.

Or come to Minnesota and we can go grouse hunting... That is if the End of the World has hit ND!

Last edited:
Hey Hunt give-em a call and see how the birds are there. We should spend the $ and give it a shot for a day or 2 not far from me.

that's what i was thinking too.....called 'em on Friday and just got an automated answering system, left a message and my number with one of the listed reps of the tribe......let's see if they call back. still working on changing my days.......will advise.

Or come to Minnesota and we can go grouse hunting... That is if the End of the World has hit ND!

Not the end of the world, but go ask the people of Minot or Bismarck how the summer has been ?

Many areas of ND were planted at 45% - 65%.

Then again, might be a few people in ND building Arks.

that's what i was thinking too.....called 'em on Friday and just got an automated answering system, left a message and my number with one of the listed reps of the tribe......let's see if they call back. still working on changing my days.......will advise.

I used to hunt parts of that area when I was young. The SRIR is rather poor and Fort Yates would not be my first place to stay. Then again I have not been to Fort Yates in 20 years.

Just like most reservations in the Dakotas, the land is a patch work of Indian owned, non Indian owned and public land. The web site has a map showing ownership. Ask if the 5 bird limit is just on Indian owned land.

One of the few places where a true nonresident of ND can shoot (gun) antelope and spring wild turkey.

Go for it and help their economy.

Thanks for the info Brittman!

Hey Hunt If you get a call back ask about P. dogs to hunt. If they would let us, bring a rifle. A couple of hours of that would polish off a good day.

Lazlo

Last edited:
a coworker just spent 5 days up at the house and said he saw a lot of ducks and a lot of pheasants. He said 20 pheasants in 5 miles..... can't wait!

Not the end of the world, but go ask the people of Minot or Bismarck how the summer has been ?

Many areas of ND were planted at 45% - 65%.

Then again, might be a few people in ND building Arks.

Speaking of Minot...was fortunate enough to live on base and avoided the flood. I'd imagine a lot of hunters will be tied up trying to finish re-building (its a war zone downtown). Could take a lot of hunters off the field OR they'll need to go to get a break from re-building. Could go either way. One question though, this will be my last season in ND before the USAF moves me. Any helpful hints on getting on some birds this year? Private message me if you don't want to broadcast to everyone. I'm finishing up my Viszla and would definitely be interested in a planned or team hunt. I'll need some time to work the kitchen pass and possible time off if during the work week--Drop me a line.

Cheers...

Patrick S. Ballard, Lt Col, USAF
Minot AFB, ND

Back