one month to go

Thank for that! Right now we are looking at McPherson and the counties west of it. Hopefully we can find a few places to try. We were really wanting to stick to walk-in land, or public land. Just having a hard time finding very much of either.

You need to look at the KDWPT hunting atlas which is out/online for the 2014-15 season.

How many times does a fella need to check his gear, ammo, look down the barrels, assess the dog's weight, try on the blaze orange hat, etc.? It's just like pacing - not needed but I do it. :D

Brit i thought i was supposed to do that every day lol..seems like i do..sad thing is that i have my gear already packed and sitting by the door.

Normally I would, but not this year. I haven't even figured out where I'm taking the boys for the youth opener:eek: I usually have that all figured out by the dove opener.

Its hard to believe it is only a month away. Anybody care to guess what the high will be on the opener? If anyone knows how to make a poll, we should have one to see what everyone thinks. I'm feeling optimistic today so I'll say the high is going to be in the 50's (before coffee tomorrow morning I'll probably say 80's)...

Normally I would, but not this year. I haven't even figured out where I'm taking the boys for the youth opener:eek: I usually have that all figured out by the dove opener.

Its hard to believe it is only a month away. Anybody care to guess what the high will be on the opener? If anyone knows how to make a poll, we should have one to see what everyone thinks. I'm feeling optimistic today so I'll say the high is going to be in the 50's (before coffee tomorrow morning I'll probably say 80's)...

Rain and in the 40s...i can tell you where to take them for the opener that way you can give me an up to date report on conditions haha

I don't remember what the opener was like last year for some reason but I do know that 2012 was warm and dusty! I remember scouting some areas SW of me and thinking about how dusty it was.

I'm thinking high 50's to 60 and sunny. Not nearly as dry either.

Rain and in the 40s...i can tell you where to take them for the opener that way you can give me an up to date report on conditions haha

I like your prediction better than my own. Hunting phez in a light rain can be very good.

Oh, and don't worry, I'll get close enough to that area to give you a teaser. We'll start in the NW quadrant and work our way back, crossing through that area. There is a WIHA nearby that my cousin shot a limit out of in December last year...without a dog. I didn't shoot a single limit last year so I gotta see this place.

Last edited:
I like your prediction better than my own. Hunting phez in a light rain can be very good.

Oh, and don't worry, I'll get close enough to that area to give you a teaser. We'll start in the NW quadrant and work our way back, crossing through that area. There is a WIHA nearby that my cousin shot a limit out of in December last year...without a dog. I didn't shoot a single limit last year so I gotta see this place.

I look forward to that teaser lol..I gotta see that as well..go ahead and pm me the gps coordinates and i will help check it out hahaha..i hope the boys get into a couple that weekend..i agree hope we do get a little bit of rain to help with the birds holding and keep the hunters down a little..you know how those farm roads get with just a small amount of moisture and since we are camping out there it won't bother us much

Last edited:
Weather? The only weather I am concerned about is whether I will hunt Jerry's Draw first, the old cow pasture, maybe the silo field or just around the farmers house:thumbsup: Bring it!
Wolf

OPS, forgot; whether KB and his boy will be with us might indicate whether we hunt the draw north of the house first:cheers:

OPS, forgot; whether KB and his boy will be with us might indicate whether we hunt the draw north of the house first:cheers:

That is very kind. He'd rather hunt that area than anywhere and I know he'll be excited to have another chance at that draw.

Oh, and if it is ever 82 degrees and dry:eek: while you're here, you will find it difficult to appreciate. The following year you'd come in December to ensure that didn't happen again:)

Besides, them belly-burnin' cherries just wouldn't be as good on a warm night:cheers:

Last edited:
Back