one month to go

bchunter

Well we are officially one month away from the opener.. who is packed and ready to go lol...i am ready to get out and relax and enjoy the scenery and spending time with family and friends..oh yeah may even hunt for an hour or two

Any ideas on good places for first-timers to try?

This year is still gonna be tough on numbers. If you don't mind just seeing a few birds look for cover cover and more cover..it is gonna take some shoe leather but birds can be found. If you shoot more than one consider it a blessing but it is better than last year. I would tell you to split the state in half and stick to the western half. But in the end just get out and enjoy the great scenery. If you want to get into really good numbers head north a couple states

Last edited:
Thank for that! Right now we are looking at McPherson and the counties west of it. Hopefully we can find a few places to try. We were really wanting to stick to walk-in land, or public land. Just having a hard time finding very much of either.

Very limited on birds in that area..you will need to go farther west and maybe north..walk in areas that are decent are harder and harder to come by. Best thing to do is just get out the walk in atlas and cross reference it with google images and go from there. Just be prepared to put in a lot of walking and go in with low expectations so that in the event that you get into them you will be surprised. Give it another year or two of non drought conditions and the birds will be back in their traditional areas. Populations are fair at best right now just in isolated pockets.

You're getting some quality advice here IMO. I too would go N and W of McPherson and yes, I've burnt my share of boot-leather in the area. Even the county directly west of there should provide more action (based solely on past experience, nothing from current conditions). Starting in the middle of the state and heading W and/or NW, hunting some cover here and there until you find birds, would be my advice.

You owe us a report when you get back:D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You're getting some quality advice here IMO. I too would go N and W of McPherson and yes, I've burnt my share of boot-leather in the area. Then one day I discovered W KS and I simply don't go back to McP these days;)

Bingo KB..are you and the boys heading up early friday morning? May just have to meet up on the way up there since i will be driving right by you and have a soda lol

You're getting some quality advice here IMO. I too would go N and W of McPherson and yes, I've burnt my share of boot-leather in the area. Even the county directly west of there should provide more action (based solely on past experience, nothing from current conditions). Starting in the middle of the state and heading W and/or NW, hunting some cover here and there until you find birds, would be my advice.

You owe us a report when you get back:D:rolleyes:

Kb i will send you my report as well haha..i am going back to our area on thanksgiving weekend as well since the wife wants to try out the new shotgun we went and bought her on sunday after her saturday hunt when she became instantly addicted

According to the hunting atlas and app I put on my phone, there are many many walk in hunting areas in Ellis County...Does anyone know much about this area?

Thought about going West but then thought about the crowds that will be out there.

Think I'll stick around within 50 or 60 miles and hunt quail, sleep in my own bed at night.

Last year I took all 3 on an overnighter. They stayed in crates in the room at night but when i got up I let each out on a check cord seperately in the morning to do their business then put them back in the room loose. Got in with the first one (Bob) turned him into the room grabbed Milo put him back in the room and then Obie was last. When I got back in with Obie, Bob was rolling in the covers on the bed and Milo was standing on the bathroom sink for some reason. It was pointers gone wild!

It's just sometimes easier to stay home....

According to the hunting atlas and app I put on my phone, there are many many walk in hunting areas in Ellis County...Does anyone know much about this area?

I have hunted that area along with trego county..much much much better area than you were previously looking at.

Thought about going West but then thought about the crowds that will be out there.

Think I'll stick around within 50 or 60 miles and hunt quail, sleep in my own bed at night.

Last year I took all 3 on an overnighter. They stayed in crates in the room at night but when i got up I let each out on a check cord seperately in the morning to do their business then put them back in the room loose. Got in with the first one (Bob) turned him into the room grabbed Milo put him back in the room and then Obie was last. When I got back in with Obie, Bob was rolling in the covers on the bed and Milo was standing on the bathroom sink for some reason. It was pointers gone wild!

It's just sometimes easier to stay home....

Duckn66 i have been seeing a lot more quail around ne ks this year

How many times does a fella need to check his gear, ammo, look down the barrels, assess the dog's weight, try on the blaze orange hat, etc.? It's just like pacing - not needed but I do it. :D

Back