One Month and Counting

BritChaser

Hunters, Kansas pheasant season opens in one month, and I am counting the days.

Hunters, Kansas pheasant season opens in one month, and I am counting the days.

Like you my friend, I'm incredibly excited about the season starting. I think about bird hunting all year long, but this is the most exciting time because it seems as though it has been so long since I was in the field. Right now is the time that we're calling people and making plans. Talking about bird hunting seems to satisfy my desires between trips to the field.

To all....don't forget about the youth opener coming up. It is a wonderful opportunity for both the youth and the adult. A chance to get at em' before guys like us do, and a chance for you to check on the birds in your chosend region. Best of luck to all of you this fall!

I too am excited, although I won't make it back for opening day I will be back the week following. For some reason when you are on the other side of the world and want to get back home time seems to slow way down. I wish you all good luck and save me a couple. Have fun and safe hunting.

Excited here too...Michigan pheasant opens Oct. 20...Indiana and Ohio not till Nov. 7. I'll hunt in all three states.

Cary

I ready but not till Nov. 7th in Indiana but I'll be heading to Ill. for the Nov1st opener then the following week in In. 2 opening weekends back to back.

You Lucky Fellow

Two back to back opening weekends. What could be finer? Good luck and have a great season.

Getting excited here too!! I'm doing a four day hunting trip starting nov 7 and probably starting in sw Kansas near the fowler area. Cant wait!!

Pilot-

There have been some pretty heavy rains in the Fowler area. I heard rumors of seven inches. I talked to a man north of there today and he had five inches in the last rain.

SW Kansas has had some nice general rains of late. It was needed in many areas, but will slow down fall harvest. Corn and beans are mostly cut around Dodge, but very little milo has been cut and the recent rains are likely to back that up for a good while. I would expect to see a lot of standing milo in the fields for both the pheasant opener and the quail opener.

At least going into this bird season, the dogs should have better scenting conditions than usual.

Thanks for the info. That is what the land owner told me as well. I wont be headed there until the second weekend in November so we will see what happens. How is the bird population in your neck of the woods? I was told to try out a walk in area just north of Haviland?

Pilot-

It is so mixed this year. I see some good areas and down the road a mile or two it is going to be poor. I believe if you get in a field and are getting some birds, you should work it throughly before you go looking for "greener grass". On the other hand, if you get in a field and no birds, the dogs are not birdy, there is no sign, then move on.

Mr. Byrd,

Thanks again for the info. Good advise is always welcomed. I am bringing my 9 year old daughter this year and we are getting anxious to get in the fields not to mention my 3 yo lab, Jet.

Pilot-

Glad to see you are getting you daughter interested in the great outdoors. I have two grown sons and I did a very good job of getting them hooked. Last year both my sons came home to deer camp and brought their sons, ages four and ten months. There is hope for our future hunters and conservationists.

North Or South?

I'll be hunting in Dodge City again this year, I just wanted to know what the best area would be to hunt this season. Last season we hit fields north and northwest of Dodge and had good luck. The season before that we were south in clark, meade, and seward county and it was a bad year for us. We headed north after that and it got a little better but it still wasnt the greatest hunting our group has had down there.I figured if I could get any advice it would be here. THANKS

Back