Oklahoma Pigeons???

OKRev

I've got a couple of young GSPs that I really want to do some more in depth bird work with next summer. When I was younger we always used pigeons because they were easy to catch in a trap, durable, and would fly home when they were released. Problem is that since I've moved to Oklahoma I can't think of anywhere that I've seen any pigeons, and I don't know of anyone that raises them. Any ideas of where I might be able to buy or catch some in NE Oklahoma?

I've got a couple of young GSPs that I really want to do some more in depth bird work with next summer. When I was younger we always used pigeons because they were easy to catch in a trap, durable, and would fly home when they were released. Problem is that since I've moved to Oklahoma I can't think of anywhere that I've seen any pigeons, and I don't know of anyone that raises them. Any ideas of where I might be able to buy or catch some in NE Oklahoma?

New training dates should be available soon....

http://www.oknavhda.com/

Great idea! There were several within a couple hours drive on there that sell them.

Ok for that great idea, I only request an awesome quail hunt.......lol. All kidding aside do you have a pigeon loft to house them.

Ok for that great idea, I only request an awesome quail hunt.......lol. All kidding aside do you have a pigeon loft to house them.

That is the eventual idea, lol. I don't have one yet but there's a feed store in town and I'm pretty handy with a skil saw.

OKREV,

Not sure exactly where you are, but I see pigeons for sale on craigslist out of tulsa and Joplin, MO some.... I think there's someone who sells trapped birds for "dog training" out of Miami, OK, posts on Joplin craigslist. $5ea.

I am going setting up a trap today at a small cattle operation. In rural areas, the pigeons are eating corn from the cows this time of year, and I've got permission easily from 2 farmers......

I'm fairly new to the bird dog thing with a 2yr old gwp. he's steady to wing, but I want him to be steady through shot and fall so I can get some hunt test cert on him.... so getting the launcher and pigeons- quail get hard to find from growers as spring hits and there's not easy to keep alive.

If you're close to NWA, send me a PM and maybe we can talk.

Good luck!

Back