Oklahoma pheasant hunt

Andrewes87

Went to north west Oklahoma to try to get my first pheasant. I managed to jump one rooster and take it down with no dog before I met mlmich and he offered to let me hunt with him over his gsp gunnr. Had an awesome day and ended up with a limit. One is at the taxidermist, now just the long wait to get it back. Hopefully I can meet back up with Monte and Gunnr for another hunt!

Attachments

• F3778356-D414-47BF-B7AD-1E96381EC3F8.jpeg
    F3778356-D414-47BF-B7AD-1E96381EC3F8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 49
Even though I didn't shoot a bird, witnessing Andrew take down that second or third year rooster made my day. Great shot and a beautiful mature pheasant. Not many pheasants this year where we hunted, so getting your limit is quite the accomplishment, shooting 100% isn't too bad either. Season ends Dec. 31st, so hope to get back out a couple of more times. The other days I'm out Quail hunting.

I drive out to Beaver to shoot pdogs. I’ve never seen any pheasant. I have jumped a few quail.

Hunted Monday at the WMA at Drummond, OK. GunnR my GSP pointed one hen and a rooster & was able to get the rooster. Walked for 2-2 1/2 hrs. Saw several hunters both duck and pheasant. Heard lots of shots, mostly duck hunters I suppose. Fewer birds this year but I enjoy the hunt & dog work.

Great looking mount Andrew. Though we didn't hunt together last year (2021), let's make it a priory for this fall. I remember that day as if it was yesterday. You made a good shot and I was very proud to have been the one to witness it. Your pheasant mount will be a great conversation piece for years to come. You can be proud!
Also, since you are active duty military, thank you Andrew for your service to our country.

Thank you monte! It’s been a privilege to serve the last 10 years and hopefully I can make it another 10. I really hope we can make it out, I’ll tag along for any hunt any time. I got a new upland gun to make those long walks a little easier. I took it out this year and jumped another rooster but couldn’t recover it, ended up going home with a rabbit as a consolation prize.

Thank you monte! It’s been a privilege to serve the last 10 years and hopefully I can make it another 10. I really hope we can make it out, I’ll tag along for any hunt any time. I got a new upland gun to make those long walks a little easier. I took it out this year and jumped another rooster but couldn’t recover it, ended up going home with a rabbit as a consolation prize.
Where are you stationed?

Tinker… I’m 3hrs from you in NW Arkansas. I’ve got a great place to hunt an hour north of me. It’s a preserve with planted birds, but they present well and it’s great work for the dog. I’d be happy to have you along this fall on a hunt. I’m former Army.

Man I’d love to! I’m new to upland but I’m hooked, thank you for the offer! And yeah I’m an aircraft mechanic on tinker.

Last edited:
Been to Drummond Flats the past week (Dove hunting). Heard pheasant roosters cackle each time. Looking forward to hunting them this year.

Back