Offseason

What are some of the things you like to do in the offseason?

I myself, this time of year like to go the Spirit lake and ice fish. Big question is what to do when the ice isn't fit and you can't take your dogs out to see if they can find pheasants during the offseason. Time willing in the spring I like to turkey hunt, usually second season. Late spring open water fish and work on obedience with my dogs and anyones who would like their's trained. During the dog days of summer I like to take the dogs to gravel pits for swims. Once fall hits well I don't have much time besides work, so I have been very thankful for the early harvest seasons the last two years.

Work my pup, fly fish, spend time at the range, hunt coyotes (for another month or so).

Ice fish a little, but found my dogs do pretty good on tree rats among other things. I worry about rabbits as I am not that great of a shot to shoot by my dogs. Just a me thing.
Spring hits and I am hoping to get back into to turkey. But I spend most of my time working the dogs getting them ready for a test or 2 in the fall. Keeps me moving. Spend alot of time working on duck searches and working on steadiness in the field.
DOg days of summer.........well, I am still working the dogs. They have to learn to deal with the heat too. Just not worked as hard, with more frequent breaks.

Fall hits and I am in my tree til birds open up. The Nebraska, SD and who know what else the cards hold this year.

Oh, will be squeezing a litter inbetween all of this stuff I hope. That will be lots of fun and a ton of work, but worth it in the end.:)

Hopefully this fall I will run into some of you all.

Dang I knew it. I was ice fishing and caught some big 10" sunnies the other day, and wanted to post the pics on here for a thread like this. "But"
the wife decided to take out the camera card for a family shin dig. Now she can't find the dang card. "Women":rolleyes: And ya just don't get sunnies like this every day.:mad: I hope it turns up. Other then that. Just mess around at home, train the dogs, and run some trials. I used to be a ice fishing nut. I camped out more on the lake with TV, generators, the weber and beer more then I was home. Not so much no more, sold the big house and just go from time to time in a portable.

I cut up a jag of fire wood every day, from forest to woodshed.
Take the pups on a romp, still going on the trails and wherever. [I love winters with little snow]
We have good ice up here and the lack of snow you can go. But you got to know where the rivers are. I catch as many fish as I want to eat then leave em alone. I do quit a bit of soft water fishing mostly May and June. Come Sept I'm out in the big grasslands.:cool:
I've got about 10'000 photos so I check out some previous adventure on some of these cold mornings.
Ranch is 10 miles away from my home. I still have about 30 critters out there I care for daily.
I bring the days supply of firewood home sometimes couple 3 days supply. [from the shed cut a year ago]
Daily check on the weather out in pheasant country.:)
Check trail cams, bring one back and view a couple hundred pics.
I'm kinda busy year around. I got to keep the old body in shape, got lots of things to do.:thumbsup:

Walleye fishing till April. Smallmouth fishing till June. Sprint car racing till end of August then hunting from Sept to January. Its a viscious circle I tell ya.

chase skirts!!!!!

Be careful . . . if one catches you, there can be a significant impact to former outdoor activities . . .

Back