Off Season

CO_Weimar

What are you guys doing with the next 9 months? :D

Training today.
Fun hunt at Valhalla on Sunday.

We are getting ready for AKC hunt tests in April. The Mile High Weimaraner Club and Vizsla Club of Colorado are hosting a "double double" AKC hunt tests on April 5th and 6th at Strasburg Game Birds. (Double Double: two clubs hosting a test on each day, same grounds, same weekend) I am the chairman for the MHWC tests. As far as I can tell, we will have the only AKC hunt tests in Colorado this spring. PM me if you are interested or would like any info about the tests.

Will probably do some more tests with the Rocky Mountain Sporting Dog Club.

Over the summer, we will be doing a little bit of NAVHDA work ... our middle pup will be playing Utility Test, and we will see how that goes. Our youngest pup - Cowboy, we will see if we can get him in the water. :laugh: He wasn't the biggest fan last fall.

Our veteran, Dakota, well we will see. He has been having some seizure issues, and they only happen when exercising hard or in the afternoon after a morning of hunting. Took him in for blood tests and discovered that he has low thyroid levels. He's on 2nd day of thyroid meds. Hopefully this will perk him up and will make a difference with regards to the seizures. He's had 4 since the beginning of December - 1 small and 3 full blown seizures. He is fit and healthy otherwise. I have been giving him electrolytes before and during exercise, and it seems to be helping.

Has anyone done any Chukar hunting in Utah? Thinking about giving that a try this coming year.

:cheers:

Time to break out the flail stick and make some trout have some sore lips. Then it will be time to find some 'eyes and introduce them to hot grease. Gonna try and find some pike and grayling this year. Exercise for the dog will start the end of June and before you know it the early season birds will be in season birds will be available.
Last season I killed everything in Colorado that is legal except scalies and ptarmigan so here is also research to find them to get done. Trip panning to do; gonna put some mils on again this year. Have to get my youngest into hunter safety as well. Lots to do.

Dog training season right now. Running in the APLA hunt test the end of April and maybe again for his next title in SD the end of May. Then it's boating season. I volunteer with Denver Park and Rec Adaptive Sports. We take folks with disabilities waterskiing and bike riding every week. About the time boating is over, it will be time to get the dog tuned up and ready for pheasants again. :cheers:

Rehab!!! Just got home from 5 days in the Hospital. Had 2 levels fused and still feel like a gorilla kicked my ass.:(

I'm anxious for the 4 feet of snow to melt down so I can survey the damage done to wildlife from this horrific Winter. (mid 40's for a few days forecasted):)
Probably do a Rooster Road Trip early April.
FT Peck fishing trip Mid June.
Work at getting me and the pups in shape for the early Sept upland hunt in the grasslands.
Fill in time is food plots and fishing area lakes. :cheers:

Still got one more trip planned to a preserve on the 30th.

Then it is time for fishing and scouting! Just got laid off, and last day will be end of April, so it is just in time for summer!! Too bad I can't last until next winter is over, but looking to take the summer off and enjoy time in the backcountry with the labs!:D

May looks like house work first though, yard cleaned, shed building, house painted and inside remodeled. That should keep me busy through the spring run-off, then it is on!:cheers:

Last edited:
Rack up overtime. Get ahead of the honey-dos. Mountain bike, hike, orienteering race, road bike and generally keep fit. Trout fish starting April 1 but only get serious in May. Striped bass fish May in the river, then give 'em a break for spawning, the go at em again in the saltwater. Fill in with some smallmouth bass and chain pickerel fishing if I get bored. Scout deer and pheasants. Practice with my new bow. Bust a few clays. Help a friend train a new pup. Then crawl up into my tree stand September 9th and ....... around and around we go! Love the life.

Dave

I'll hopefully be going on my first turkey hunt. Also, my dad, my brother, and I are looking for a place to hunt deer and elk in the mountains, so we have to do some scouting and door knocking. Then scouting for some waterfowl hunting spots. And then gardening. A whole lot of gardening, so much gardening it's almost like having a farm, which my family will have to take care of for me for a couple of months because I'll be working at a summer camp. Then I start college. I also hope to do a lot of fishing between now and next winter. So actually I have a lot going on until the next pheasant season.

Back