NW Kansas scouting trip

j2ohno

I took a motorcycle scouting trip through NW Kansas to see what the conditions were. I left Colorado at 6:00 am and covered over 600 miles. While the cover conditions were improved over last year, I did not see a single pheasant or quail or even any signs of them. I kept a close watch on the fields and ditches plus I walked two fields that had the early opening for dove season WIH signs on them. One of the fields was productive for me last year and one was added to the program this year. I did not see any roosts or tracks in either field. The trip was actual pretty fun. I did have to stop a few time to wipe the bug off my helmet. The good news was the trip only cost $35 for gas on the bike as opposed to $120 if I had taken my truck. Now if I can just figure out how to get the dog and gun on the bike... Maybe a side car.

I took a motorcycle scouting trip through NW Kansas to see what the conditions were. I left Colorado at 6:00 am and covered over 600 miles. While the cover conditions were improved over last year, I did not see a single pheasant or quail or even any signs of them. I kept a close watch on the fields and ditches plus I walked two fields that had the early opening for dove season WIH signs on them. One of the fields was productive for me last year and one was added to the program this year. I did not see any roosts or tracks in either field. The trip was actual pretty fun. I did have to stop a few time to wipe the bug off my helmet. The good news was the trip only cost $35 for gas on the bike as opposed to $120 if I had taken my truck. Now if I can just figure out how to get the dog and gun on the bike... Maybe a side car.

doesn't sound like a return trip would be worthwhile anyway, :eek:

Thanks for checking things out and adding to the other info and data we have about what to expect in NW this year. Glad you had good time too.

It is to bad about this years bird situation in Kansas. My dog turned 3 years old and is getting into her prime hunting years. I'm not getting any younger either. You can't get these years back. I will go out anyway. It is always fun to go out and walk some fields.

It is to bad about this years bird situation in Kansas. My dog turned 3 years old and is getting into her prime hunting years. I'm not getting any younger either. You can't get these years back. I will go out anyway. It is always fun to go out and walk some fields.

your dog is really still just a pup...prime to my way of thinking is 5-8 years old, by then they have seen just about everything. :thumbsup:

and know how to handle it......

Back