November Game Bird Draw

For the 35th straight year I was not selected. I have never been selected.
And I was not selected for the private lands hunt either. And did not get selected for the dove draw.

@nkhrfh - that’s great, congrats! Give us an update on how it went. I had a friend go 2 years ago and saw a ton of birds, said the hunt wa comparable to Iowa.

@AtTheMurph - that does not give me hope! Haha Ive struck out as well the last 7 years. But I’ll keep on trying! I spend a few weeks in Iowa/South Dakota every year so I get my fix of wild birds. But my bucket list item is to shoot a wild Indiana rooster

@nkhrfh - that’s great, congrats! Give us an update on how it went. I had a friend go 2 years ago and saw a ton of birds, said the hunt wa comparable to Iowa.

@AtTheMurph - that does not give me hope! Haha Ive struck out as well the last 7 years. But I’ll keep on trying! I spend a few weeks in Iowa/South Dakota every year so I get my fix of wild birds. But my bucket list item is to shoot a wild Indiana rooster
20151118_150903.jpg

Wild Indiana Cocks.20201213_111100.jpg
Cock on the right is from Indiana, on the left Illinois. Both taken the same day. A rare double!

@AtTheMurph tgats incredible! Great work! That’s certainly a true trophy to pull that off in our area.

Do you have access to private land? This wasn’t a draw hunt right?

Either way, I’m impressed

@AtTheMurph tgats incredible! Great work! That’s certainly a true trophy to pull that off in our area.

Do you have access to private land? This wasn’t a draw hunt right?

Either way, I’m impressed
Both private land. I have friends in Iroquois Co, IL and friends with access to land in Warren, Benton, and Newton Co's IN. I usually only hunt one state at a time, but on this trip we hunted a spot right on the state line. Got one in IL and one across the road (same ditch but different states.)

I'll post another picture from last year. I am pretty sure it was the last wild bird harvested in the entire state of Indiana for that season. Final day was hot, super windy and nobody was out. I dropped the cock not too much before sunset into a cattail patch. Dog went in a got it no problems. That was pretty impressive.

I did get invited to hunt one of these properties with a friend, whose been chosen 3x since I've known him (I have been picked zero times).
Vinegar Hill just west of Earl Park, which is very near some of the private land I hunt currently.

106 acres but don't know if there is any water on that property. Don't think so. 40.68994600927891, -87.46090582445605

I have hunted this property 40.56015167690824, -87.4489938837834 Put up 50-60 birds in half a day

Also hunted one spot along the state line north of Freeland Park. Was told by locals it stunk and it did. 4 birds. More deer than birds.

Other one was NE of Fowler. Lots of quail and some pheasants. That was probably 20 or more years ago.

Back