Not much good news in the quail forever state forecast

Westok

I’ve personally seen young birds here in western Ok about 2 weeks ago that probably wouldn’t have been seen in August surveys and I’ve heard a lot of similar stories. Hoping its better than it looked.

I agree that this year much has changed since august... by no means do I think there is a boom but places where quail were found last year could be much better. 🤞

Quail do really well with late nesting. I’ve seen them drop a clutch or even 2 after a bad start during nesting season…. Of course it helps to have good carryover from the year before…. 🤞

Spent opening weekend hunting WIHA's in Cowley, Elk, Chautauqua and Wilson counties for quail. Saw one other bird hunter in all of the places and miles I covered. Didn't see a single quail or ditch parrot the entire two days. Thinking quail may be a fictitious game animal just to collect license revenues. Not gonna give up. Need to do more home work it sounds like.

Spent opening weekend hunting WIHA's in Cowley, Elk, Chautauqua and Wilson counties for quail. Saw one other bird hunter in all of the places and miles I covered. Didn't see a single quail or ditch parrot the entire two days. Thinking quail may be a fictitious game animal just to collect license revenues. Not gonna give up. Need to do more home work it sounds like.
I’m in Chautauqua County, Kansas. The quail are here, but there’s not much in the way of public land at all.

Great attitude to have! There out there just gotta do your homework as you say!

Back