Not many people reporting here anymore :-(

This site originated somewhat tied to SD. There are some ND reports that show up on the main page.

I just got back from southeast ND today. There were three of us in our group. We hunted five days, walking about 9 miles a day on Plots and some private land. We saw fewer birds than last year in the same general area. The public land, Plots was sparse hunting. Most of the Plots were clipped for hay. A lot of the previous private lands were changed into more productive farm land meaning less cattails, sloughs and habitat. It was hard work getting the few birds we did get. It is still a fun activity. Bird count is less important as we old hunters get older. Change comes hard in some parts of our lives. I will still hunt, hoping for better bird numbers, keeping the tradition going.

Been in west North Dakota for 4 days. Bird numbers seem close to the first time I came here 3 falls ago. Cover is sparse so running thru habitat has made it easier to outrun me and the pup. Today is 40 mph winds and blizzard conditions. So we are enjoyed a warm trailer!!!I wanted to give an update .

I hunted over mea weekend in west central ND. It was the lowest harvest out group has had. BUT most most of the birds taken were young of the year. Cover was hard to find, found a lot of birds in what I call buck brush patch’s near harvested fields. Saw a lot of birds, most were running out ahead…. Looked like flocks of chickens running on a golf course!! But it’s still a good time. Hoping for a mild winter so the birds make it till next fall.

Been in west North Dakota for 4 days. Bird numbers seem close to the first time I came here 3 falls ago. Cover is sparse so running thru habitat has made it easier to outrun me and the pup. Today is 40 mph winds and blizzard conditions. So we are enjoyed a warm trailer!!!I wanted to give an update .
Are you in a camper. I

Another short day. 30 mph BREEZES! But freeing rain. Lots of birds in small cover. Owner flush, erupts 20 birds. Friend has a trailer and the heat works great!

A warm house, trailer, or even hotel room is always nice after time in the field ... on a cold, windy and rainy day.

Enough wind already.

Back