NORTHWEST to CENTRAL KANSAS?

COWAN

Hows the weather, any snow? I'm thinking of heading back out in about 8 days for pheasants. Just wondering about if the roads are torn up or if they are fairly dry. This winter in Utah has been very dry. I'm wondering if Kansas has been the same. Any info helps.

Roads are completely tore up and the birds are all gone. I wouldnt even bother.... :rolleyes:

But seriously its hard to say cause the conditions change so much around here. As long as the roads are frozen you should be fine. Not much snow yet this year.

Ok, I'll stay home. I can recall traveling on some county roads that I thought would be way bad with even a little bit of moisture, and that was back in November. I might just head out and chance it. Gas is definitely cheaper.

Roads are fine

I just got back from Hays and a little south of it, roads were fine. There were a few spots that drifts made it bad and I didn't chance it, and just went the long way around. There was 1 field out of about the 20 I had scouted that I didn't think I could get to. I'm sure I could of if I really wanted to, but I just crossed it off my list for sake of time and moved on. I didn't have to go into 4WD once. On the upside, I saw more late season birds this year than I have in the last 4 years. And many more roosters than hens. They were jumpy as heck, the ones we got in range were young ones. I was surprised they were so darned jumpy, even in the hard cold ( under 15 degrees). But, late season, WIHA.... Also, every single bird was in medium grass cover or under a cedar. Cat tails and brushy cover was a bust for us this year. Grass, and not far off the road or crop edge is where we saw the birds.

Ok, I'll stay home. I can recall traveling on some county roads that I thought would be way bad with even a little bit of moisture, and that was back in November. I might just head out and chance it. Gas is definitely cheaper.

You'll be just fine...I say go for it. The "minimum maintenance" roads are the ones to watch out for. Normally they are posted but not always.

Back