Northwest N.D.

I've hunted around Regent, Mott, Dickinson and the Standing Rock Reservation the last 4 years but would like to try some new area's. I was wondering if anyone hunts the Northwest corner of N.D.? I was planning on bringing my boat and checking out some out of the way area's along the river.

Thanks,

The edges of the river (big lake) maybe the only place holding pheasants in NW ND next fall.

This winter will take majority of birds across most of ND. Reduced CRP acres will slow recover time from a couple years to possibly never ... :mad:

There's been some good bird hunting in the NW the last few years. That is in the far edge of the pheasant range. Snow and severe cold. Word from out there is not good. Pheasants can't handle the -20 stuff, it's been much colder.

Thanks for the info guys......looks like I'm a dollar short and a hunting season too late. Although I have been watching the weather in the Dakota's and it may be tough no matter where you hunt next year. Hope the weather breaks soon.

I'm hearing the same things from some of the waterfowler's I talk to that are up in ND. NOT GOOD. But, what can we do?

How big of an impact will this winter have on the sharptails in ND? I know sharpies can handle the winters better than pheasants but to what degree?

Not much you can do except begin to lower expectations for ND in 2009.

Sharptails do fine. They are a bird of northern climates, feathers on legs, etc... Sharptails often fly between roosting cover and feeding fields in the winter, these flights can be a mile or more each way.

BRITMAN is right. Sharptails are native to the Northern prairies and are survivors. Will not stay in low food or deep snow areas. Will fly high for miles if necessary to find food. And they don't need the cover that Pheasants do. Will do well on wind blown short grasses. It seem the Shrap tail population is more dependent on the weather during nesting and the first couple weeks after hatching.

NW area had a tough winter, birds the previous two years were good.

Survey reports birds down about 50% in NW, probably still some good pockets. I will have a report on the area in a few weeks.

Back