North Dakota Location

rangerman

Considering a pheasant/grouse hunting trip this fall...Conditions appear to be on the decline due tough winters, wet springs and loss of some CRP from what i have been able to read....Haven't been there since 1995 (Williston), therefore I'm sure alot has changed....Prefer self-guided, with access to plots, wpas or knocking on doors....My friend and I would bring 4 setters...Considering either the McClusky area or Gackle/Streeter, would certainly like to see brood report summaries before making a decision..Just wondering if someone with institutional knowledge would be willing to provide me with some advice??? PM if you would like to offer commentary.....:)

Considering a pheasant/grouse hunting trip this fall...Conditions appear to be on the decline due tough winters, wet springs and loss of some CRP from what i have been able to read....Haven't been there since 1995 (Williston), therefore I'm sure alot has changed....Prefer self-guided, with access to plots, wpas or knocking on doors....My friend and I would bring 4 setters...Considering either the McClusky area or Gackle/Streeter, would certainly like to see brood report summaries before making a decision..Just wondering if someone with institutional knowledge would be willing to provide me with some advice??? PM if you would like to offer commentary.....:)

All areas you mentioned above will be down alot from last year which was down from the year before. Gackle - McClusky is what I would consider Tier 3 pheasant country in ND. This year Tier 3 will be really tough.

Reply to Brittman

Thanks for the insight Brittman....Down from last year and really down from the year before makes for a potential bummer...Don't mind walking alot, but poor numbers makes it difficult...Any suggestions....Attached a pic of one of my pals...

Unfortunately the pendalum has swung far in favor of ducks.

Tough winter and rather wet spring and summer translates into a lower overall breeding flock, limited reproduction, and limited (but real) late hatch.

The area you speak of is at an all time or near all time water mark. Roads once high and dry are underwater in parts.

There are pockets of birds of course and some people will have nice seasons. This will be mostly on private land.

Lots of water in ND/Eastern MT for birds!

We own some private (not commercial) RV hookups on our lots just south of Plentywood MT, which is 76 miles NW of Williston. Pheasants were so so last year, but ducks should be great! The water hasn't been so hgh for a long time! Everywhere in between is good area as well. If you want information on a place to hitch yer wagon, email me at: olson920@centurytel.net and I'll get it to you!
Marilyn :)

New partner

Taking a new partner this year ....little green but will give him some experience :D

Chester2004.jpg

Might Give it a try

There is only 2 of us on this expedition plus the dogs....Therefore, we don't need alot of room -- just a few hours (LOL) of walking each day...After all this is my vacation, not the family vacation when I'm told "no guns, dogs, boats, or fishing poles""....Hunting anything with setters thats not a upland game bird is sacreligous.... NO DUCK OR GOOSE HUNTING ALLOWED...
Appreciate the information

Rangerman

Back