NorCal guy

Hey everyone,

I've visited this place several times over the past few years, but just recently signed up to post. I live in Northern California (the extremely rural part between Sacramento and the Oregon border). Been upland hunting since I was 10, and now I'm just a little more than a year shy of 50.

Hunting wild pheasants in California gets tougher all the time, but I still manage to bag a few every year. Also make a semi-annual excursion to far northeastern Montana, but didn't get to go this year.

Here are my dogs, in order of age:

Zeke, an 11 1/2-year-old Lab. If not for him, my wild-rooster count out here over the last decade would be much lower than it is. Despite two surgeries on major joints, he still has the attitude that my gun is only a backup in case he can't catch the birds himself.
Zeke_bumper_1003copy2.jpg

Mazie, an 8-year-old English setter. She's way too much dog for her fat, crippled owner, but the invention of the Astro has made things easier on me. Excels in the wide-open spaces in Montana, but has had more than one of those trips interrupted due to a severe hatred of porcupines.
Mazie_1008_jj.jpg

Kota, a pointer rescued from South Korea (a very long story). Actually a faster runner than Mazie, but prefers to hunt much closer to me. I originally just wanted to give her a home, but she's become an excellent hunter.
Kota_1008_jj.jpg

Welcome ditchparrot. Do you do much chukar hunting with the setter and pointer?

Welcome ditchparrot. Do you do much chukar hunting with the setter and pointer?

Not as much as I'd like – I have a pretty severe knee and ankle issue on my left side that makes it very difficult to maneuver downhill.

I mostly stick to pheasants and quail (and the sharptails and Huns in Montana). I'll occasionally go after chukar in places where the climbs and descents aren't overly steep, but those places are tough to find.

Last edited:
Dogs

Your prepared for any unpland scenario on the North American Continent Awesome! Are your dogs kenneled outside or do the come in the house?

Last edited:
Your prepared for any unpland scenario on the North American Continent Awesome! Are your dogs kenneled outside or do the come in the house?

They live in the house. We've given them their own room off the garage since my daughter (now 3) came along.

Not as much as I'd like – I have a pretty severe knee and ankle issue on my left side that makes it very difficult to maneuver downhill.

I mostly stick to pheasants and quail (and the sharptails and Huns in Montana). I'll occasionally go after chukar in places where the climbs and descents aren't overly steep, but those places are tough to find.

I see, chukar hunting is hard enough as it is without any bad parts. My brothers wife's family are farmers in Ennis, Mt. We are going to try and make a trip out there next year.

Back