Non-toxic shot: The whole truth

A5 Sweet 16

I call it the truth, but it's really just my opinion, based on something like 30 years of having to shoot non-toxic shot at pheasants on public land. For starters, I still do, & will continue to shoot lead whenever possible. It's the best bang for the buck. When first confronted with the need to shoot non-tox at pheasants, I was hand loading ALL my shells, & I went with steel because I had some fantastic duck loads. Should make good pheasant killers, right?? Well....I had no dog at the time. And although my duck loads put roosters on the ground just fine, a 1-1/8 oz load of steel 3s didn't anchor a rooster anything like a 1-1/4 oz load of lead 5s, & I lost an unacceptable number of birds. So I started loading bismuth, found a couple good loads, & it dramatically reduced the number of birds I lost. It really drove home what I'd known for years. That you can splash a duck & chase him around in the water, swat him if you have to, & if he doesn't dive to an eternity in Davy Jones's locker, you're bound to recover him. A rooster is a different story, regardless of what type of cover he falls in. Without a dog, if you don't break wings, legs, beaks, necks, & as much other anatomy as possible, you stand a good chance of losing him. Deader is better. And dead is SO MUCH easier to accomplish with bismuth than with steel, even out to just 40 yards. At reasonable muzzle velocities out to 40 yards, a steel pellet really needs to be a #2, & 1-1/4 oz (a relatively large load) only contains 154 of them. Whereas 1-1/4 oz of bismuth #5 contains 245 pellets. Big difference.

Anyway, I eventually got a dog, & the need to absolutely murderize a rooster became less important for obvious reasons. And I'd fallen in love with 16 gauges for pheasants, so my loads became correspondingly lighter. By now I've tried quite a bit of the available non-tox. Maybe not quite ALL the various tungsten alloys, but several of them. And after having shot a few pheasants with non-tox, I can honestly say, it ALL works. IF....it patterns OK in your particular gun/choke combination, you put it in the right place, & the load is of sufficient snot to put a rooster on the ground hard enough for an experienced dog to recover. I've also come to the conclusion that most non-tox isn't terribly expensive for pheasant hunting. I commonly shoot non-tox maybe 2/3 of the time because I hunt a lot of true public land, where it's required. I'm a bismuth fan & generally pay about $1.30 a shell. My favorite lead loads are about $0.70 a shell. On a year where I shoot poorly (so this is purely theoretical) at lots of pheasants, I might burn through 5 boxes of shells. So even if I shot bismuth all the time & zero lead, it would only increase the cost of my season by $87.50. Yes, it's $87.50, & $30 or $40 or $50 a box SOUNDS outlandish, but it's virtually nothing when I consider the total cost of my hunting. I'm not travelling long distances, paying for lodging, & that sort of thing, & still, I'd consider $87.50 negligible.

To cap off my dissertation, and as a public service, I'll provide my opinion on bare minimum load requirements for hunting wild pheasants. I've determined that for my hunting, I need to put at least 150 pellets in the air. Again, this assumes a decent pattern, a decent shot, & a decent dog.

Steel: Minimum 1 oz of #3s at 1400 fps. 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz of #2s would be better if you like taking shots over 40 yds.
Bismuth: Minimum 3/4 oz of #5s at 1250 fps. (I prefer 1 oz in 16 ga.) 1-1/8 oz of #4s would be better if you like taking shots over 40 yds.
Lead: Minimum 3/4 oz of #6s at 1250 fps. (I prefer 1-1/8 oz in 16 ga.) 1 oz of #5s would be better if you like taking shots over 40 yds.
Increasing velocities much above those listed results in surprisingly little increase in effective range, significant increase in recoil, & potential for poor patterns.

Having heard his thoughts on this before, I can verify that A5's foray into shotgun shell ballistics goes beyond a passing curiosity. I shoot 12 gauge, #2, 3", 1 1/4 steel, Federal Speed Shok or Federal Black Cloud all season long on ducks, geese and pheasants. I did purchase some bismuth last year and shot a box. It seemed to have a deadlier impact and I'm considering getting some Boss for pheasant hunting, but again, there are so many variables that the gist of it is what he said at the beginning - it all works if you've got a good pattern and well placed shot at a reasonable distance.

For me, it comes down to what I like and what gets it done. I don't put much stock in Facebook comments as the sampling of pheasant hunters is global, and ranges from the folks dizzying a pen raised bird and setting it by a flag to the most passionate public land warriors. Never worry about what anyone else says or thinks. All hunters lose birds from time to time and, personally, I hate it like no other. If moving up from #6 to #5 lead or increasing the shotgun shell budget by less than $100 leaves even one less bird from being food for the predators, that might just be worth it. But as time goes on, I've learned that the best way to avoid cripples is to pass on shots that have a higher probability of being less than lethal in habitat that isn't favorable to Sage's nose.

Now that I've derailed the topic at hand from ballistics to internet idiocy and crippled birds, I'll call it a day. :)

I mostly shoot 2 3/4” lead 5’s at 1220 fps out of IC 12 gauge…100+ birds annually. Best non-tox I’ve used lately is hevi-metal 3” #3 shot, don’t recall velocity. Best load EVER was hevi-shot 20 gauge 2 3/4” #6 shot…friggin lethal…only had about 70 rounds of it. Friggin lethal. 12 gauge would have been even better. Last few years been shooting up
16 gauge # 4 lead I have…effective out of many doubles I shoot. Did buy 100 rounds of Kent bismuth #5 16 gauge…haven’t used it to any degree yet.

Last edited:
I'm really glad to see that Golden Hour's branching out a bit with bismuth, trying a couple new things. Because even though it's fair that one guy might place importance on a different facet of hunting than another guy (GoPro 10 vs 5, for example), it's pretty safe to say shooting the same damn load at absolutely everything would get really boring. 😉

Might as well jump into non-tox as I have been a waterfowler almost as long as a uplander > 40 years. Most of those years have been crossing the north border on the prairies chasing greenies and magnum honkers. We loaded baby magnums 12ga 2 3/4” 1 3/8oz copper #2 for geese and copper #5 for mallards in M for decoying birds and IM for pass shooting. Just get on a nesting island on a DU project and look for greenheads. Pass on geese because you didn’t want to carry them out. Then came non-tox, first was steel and not so good. Impact tungsten matrix was mighty fine and we found boxes of ten on sale #1 3” for geese and #5 2 3/4” for greenies. Successful waterfowlers shoot quite a bit more than successful uplanders due to more liberal limits. After tungsten matrix got pricey, we tried Prairie Storm and Heavy Metal with good results, but range dependent. Now on to Boss and ready to give them a go, but no report yet due to Covid and now bird flu. If money was a non issue, hands down Impact tungsten matrix. My $.02 (Canadian)00

If money was a non issue, hands down Impact tungsten matrix. My $.02 (Canadian)00
Agreed. Tungsten Matrix was almost a twitch better than lead, if you could swallow the cost. I'd probably still be shooting it at pheasants if they still made it in 16 ga. But they don't.

Last edited:
Where can I get 16 gauge lead loads for $.70/shell? Or, are you reloading?
Today they're maybe pretty tough to find. But when they're available, $0.70/shell is probably actually MORE than I spend online for a case of Fiocchi 16HV5. It's gone by several names over the years. High Velocity. Optima Specific. Field Dynamics. For some reason, Golden Pheasants don't pattern worth a crap in my old Sweet 16, which seems odd, given nickel plated shot & essentially the same velocity. But that suits me just fine as long as they make 16HV5.

I just finished this webinar put on by the Iowa DNR. A coworker had texted our local CO to see if non-tox was required on a public area we were planning to hunt on opening day of dove season. The CO answered his question and attached a link to this webinar he helped to produce. He said since he went to this training class and patterned his guns he has shot better than he ever had before.

I have never shot non-tox before. I have a couple hundred rounds of bismuth, and a few boxes of steel in size 2 and 3. I'm planning to pattern my guns next week.

Today they're maybe pretty tough to find. But when they're available, $0.70/shell is probably actually MORE than I spend online for a case of Fiocchi 16HV5. It's gone by several names over the years. High Velocity. Optima Specific. Field Dynamics. For some reason, Golden Pheasants don't pattern worth a crap in my old Sweet 16, which seems odd, given nickel plated shot & essentially the same velocity. But that suits me just fine as long as they make 16HV5.
Absolutely love the 2 3/4 Fiocchi Golden Pheasant nickel plated #5 in the field where non-tox is not a requirement. Before the pandemic a box of 12 ga was about 17 bucks. at least with my Winchester SX4 this patterns admirably and I’ve killed more wild pheasants with single shots than any other “budget” shell. Finding this stuff to day is very difficult and the prices of course are about 40% higher if you do. Still cheaper than bismuth and my bird loss is less than 10% which can happen with pretty much any shot.

I just bought 4 boxes fiocchi last week- lead was $15/box. The steel fiocchi which I’ve never shot before was $17/box. I started loading up on steel as I plan to hunt a fair amount in Iowa this year- not sure if I’ll go to Kansas at all after the opener this year.

Here's my take on steel pheasant loads.

When using steel on pheasants, it is best to go with loads that contain #2 or #3 steel pellets. Steel shot lethality research conducted on pheasants by Tom Roster showed #2 steel to be more effective (at all ranges) than either #6 or #4 steel. Yes, #4 or #6 steel loads will kill'em too, but a little extra pellet energy is a good thing on wild pheasants where shots are often taken at longer going-away angles. The research also showed #2 steel resulted in fewer cripples than both #6 and #4 steel; and Roster speculated that the #3 steel pellet would be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy.

Here’s a link to an article on the study.
Steel Shot for Pheasants | North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum (nodakoutdoors.com)

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how a 2 3/4" 1 1/8-ounce #2 steel load that I've shot pheasants with performs in my gun/chokes!

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) @ 1375 fps
30 YARDS – SK / pattern 116 (83%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 129 (93%)

40 YARDS – IC / pattern 111 (80%)
40 YARDS – LM / pattern 114 (82%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 114 (82%)

50 YARDS – LF / pattern 100 (72%)
50 YARDS – F / pattern 106 (76%)

As you can see, there wasn't much difference between the IC, LM and M chokes with this steel load at 40 yards, and the LM and M both registered the same 5-shot pattern average!

Good luck!

And here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how several popular steel loads performed in my gun/choke.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3-inch Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28-inch barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30-inch post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

40 YARDS Mod. (.018” const.)
Federal Speed-Shok (old) 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (186 pellets) pattern 128 (69%)
Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (193 pellets) pattern 146 (76%)
Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (195 pellets) pattern 131 (67%)

Remington Sportsman 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) pattern 116 (83%)

Federal Speed-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 115 (75%)
Federal Ultra-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (147 pellets) pattern 109 (74%)
Federal Black Cloud 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (144 pellets) pattern 92 (64%)
Fiocchi Golden 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (156 pellets) pattern 115 (74%)
Hevi-Metal 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 / #5 (164 pellets) pattern 93 (58%)
HEVI-STEEL 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (148 pellets) pattern 100 (68%)
Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (155 pellets) pattern 103 (66%)
Kent Silver Steel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (153 pellets) pattern 112 (73%)
Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) pattern 110 (72%)
Remington Nitro Steel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (151 pellets) pattern 117 (77%)
Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) pattern 106 (73%)
Winchester Drylok Super-X 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (162 pellets) pattern 121 (75%)
Winchester Blind Side 3" 1 3/8 oz #2 steel (176 pellets) pattern 104 (59%)

Now you can be the judge!

Back