Noisy Roosters!!!

A5 Sweet 16

Saturday, Nov. 28 was a beautiful day in southeastern SD. Ace & I got our limit at about 4:15. Walking to the truck, roosters started crowing/cackling all over the place!! Went on for quite a while. They were mostly doing their flying type cuk, cuk, cuk, cuk.....but they weren't flying. And I mean all over the place. I've talked to 2 other people that noticed the same thing Saturday. It was pretty uncommon for this time of year. Did anyone else notice this Saturday? Or have any guesses as to why all of a sudden, on that particular late afternoon, they decided to be boisterous??
20201117_153901.jpg

I have noticed it this fall in SE Iowa, maybe they like the nice weather we are having. It seems they like nice/warmer temps with little wind when they lite up. I like to listen to them as much as the bobwhites in the summer.

Saturday, Nov. 28 was a beautiful day in southeastern SD. Ace & I got our limit at about 4:15. Walking to the truck, roosters started crowing/cackling all over the place!! Went on for quite a while. They were mostly doing their flying type cuk, cuk, cuk, cuk.....but they weren't flying. And I mean all over the place. I've talked to 2 other people that noticed the same thing Saturday. It was pretty uncommon for this time of year. Did anyone else notice this Saturday? Or have any guesses as to why all of a sudden, on that particular late afternoon, they decided to be boisterous??
View attachment 687

Everyone is sort of right. The real answer lies in day length. In the fall the day length approximates what it is in the spring. For a while their reproductive organs even get larger. Not as large in spring but larger than winter and summer. That results in noisy roosters, fights etc. A good evening to all. Mike

Everyone is sort of right. The real answer lies in day length. In the fall the day length approximates what it is in the spring. For a while their reproductive organs even get larger. Not as large in spring but larger than winter and summer. That results in noisy roosters, fights etc. A good evening to all. Mike
Except I'm out among roosters a 1/2 hour before sunset a lot in the fall. What I experienced Nov. 28 was VERY uncommon crowing. Other hunters who "notice" things, noticed the same thing. Both in SD & MN at a minimum. 🤷‍♂️

So I hunted both Saturday & Sunday this weekend. Both gorgeous afternoons.
The last hour of daylight each day was warm, calm, etc. Very similar to Nov. 28.
But no cackling/crowing either day.
I've experienced many, many similar "golden hours" in my life & have never heard it before quite like that during hunting season.
I tell you, something odd was going on Nov. 28 & I have no idea what it would have been.

Back