No birds in KS!!!!

Setter1

Finally made it back to Kansas to hunt after many years. We started our morning meeting another hunter and he was going to be late so I decided to let the dogs out to stretch. One direction was pasture land so I tried to get the setter to go that way to get done what he needed to get done. Of course what everyone says follow the dogs if you want to find birds happened pretty quick. Before I could get him back into the truck he got past me and headed directly to the cover that looked like it would hold birds. He went over a little hill, no worries he will be back. Nope!! Step over the hill he is on point. Well I'm not even sure we are hunting here so I bust those birds and send them on. He chases for a ways then turns to come back, about 50 yards below that covey he goes on point again. Ok this is either old scent or possibly a single. Boy was I wrong, another covey of about 20. Well crap 2 coveys no shots and I haven't walked 200 yards from my truck.

I get the dog back into the truck finally and the other hunter shows up. He's like we were not going to hunt here but we can walk down to the fence and pick up some singles. After a fairly short walk the dog goes down and the action starts. After 4-5 points and a couple kicked up by the lab we let the rest go, and go back to truck so we can move on to pheasant hunt. I'm from MO I can hunt quail in MO, I'm here to hunt pheasants. We are driving down road to our first spot and see a covey by the road on the spot we are going to pheasant hunt so we pull up a few hundred yards with the intention of eventually getting back to the quail but no hurry. We start into the field and about 100 yards in dog goes down. hoping for a pheasant, nope another covey of quail. 3 coveys and I haven't walked 500 yards. We hunt back down the draw kick up a few pheasants, get a couple nice roosters. Setter goes down, back around where the road covey was and now our 4th covey in air.

Well to say the least it continued like this all day. My pheasant hunt turned into a quail hunt. Not necessarily a bad thing, but couldn't believe the number of quail in this area. Now I can't wait to get back for another pheasant-quail hunt.

I hate when quail get in your way and you cant hardly walk or even get a dog out or the darn things are ruining everything. Lmao.

I don't know if you are looking for free land or to pay to find birds. Upland Inn Hunts in Hutchison, KS is fantastic. Jason is the owner. He has his own patent in helping the bird population there and owns the land also. Check out his website. My husband takes at least 15 clients there per year and they all rave about how great it is. Just an option ...

Yes, really sucks when quail get in the way of your pheasant hunting. I really hate wasting my time on them. Lol.

I live in MO and I was actually quail hunting today. Went out with an old hunting buddy today and pushed 7 coveys. Man was the cover good, just hunted one place. Have not seen that good of a place in a long time. Managed very well for quail.

I live in MO as well and took my 11 month old GSP to NE Kansas today. I am not new to hunting but very new to upland bird hunting and training a pointer. We managed to find one covey on walk in land around Atchison. It has been great expanding my hunting to upland birds and watching my dog work. We have shot in to four covey the last few weekends we have been hunting. I am really hoping to get on some pheasants this year still. There is a game farm not far from me we have hunted a few times, but I really want to watch my pup point and retrieve some wild roosters!

I live in MO as well and took my 11 month old GSP to NE Kansas today. I am not new to hunting but very new to upland bird hunting and training a pointer. We managed to find one covey on walk in land around Atchison. It has been great expanding my hunting to upland birds and watching my dog work. We have shot in to four covey the last few weekends we have been hunting. I am really hoping to get on some pheasants this year still. There is a game farm not far from me we have hunted a few times, but I really want to watch my pup point and retrieve some wild roosters!

Need to drive way out west if you want an increased chance at that rooster. NE KS has very few phez left. Yes there are some, I shot 2 on opening day and saw 9, but VERY spotty as there is not much good CRP cover in NE KS anymore. I've hunted NC a lot this year as well and have been less than impressed with the pheasant numbers. The quail numbers seem to be high no matter where you go.

Last edited:
Need to drive way out west if you want an increased chance at that rooster. NE KS has very few phez left. Yes there are some, I shot 2 on opening day and saw 9, but VERY spotty as there is not much good CRP cover in NE KS anymore. I've hunted NC a lot this year as well and have been less than impressed with the pheasant numbers. The quail numbers seem to high no matter where you go.

Thanks for the response. That is what I have been told. I am thinking about heading to western Kansas for the last Friday, Saturday, Sunday of the season. I know that's a tough time to go, but I was just thinking about it and realized I've never shot a wild rooster either. I've killed quail and sharp tail grouse, but never a wild pheasant, so it would be a first for me and my dog. We've killed lots of preserve pheasants, but I want to go earn one.

Thanks for the response. That is what I have been told. I am thinking about heading to western Kansas for the last Friday, Saturday, Sunday of the season. I know that's a tough time to go, but I was just thinking about it and realized I've never shot a wild rooster either. I've killed quail and sharp tail grouse, but never a wild pheasant, so it would be a first for me and my dog. We've killed lots of preserve pheasants, but I want to go earn one.

From other posts I've read on here this season who have hunted a lot of WIHA way out west, this is what folks have said - don't slam your car door.. park down the road a bit if you can and walk up to the property vs parking at the wiha and unloading dogs/etc. Be stealthy, quiet, don't yell at your dog a lot etc... Late season birds know the drill and will quickly exit out the back of the WIHA before you even get started.

From other posts I've read on here this season who have hunted a lot of WIHA way out west, this is what folks have said - don't slam your car door.. park down the road a bit if you can and walk up to the property vs parking at the wiha and unloading dogs/etc. Be stealthy, quiet, don't yell at your dog a lot etc... Late season birds know the drill and will quickly exit out the back of the WIHA before you even get started.

Thanks for the heads up! I will keep all of that in mind. Working on trying to find a buddy that wants to make the trip with me now. I'll try to remember to post back on how I do.

Yes, Kansas is quickly becoming a destination state for quail and talk about how good the pheasant hunting used to be.

Rut

try going into the property from a different direction, allowing for the wind......a different approach can confuse the birds....sometimes.

Back