Nice weather for opener

steele

My niece's husband and I kicked up around 10 cock birds and ended up with 3 roosters all from public ground. The hot weather this summer created great cover. It's very thick. The hens should carry over this winter a lot better than in the past. We should have more public hunting. Why not sell a pheasant or upland stamp that goes to purchase land. Fifty to one hundred acres a year would create lots of hunting opportunity over time. Just a thought. Happy hunting

Nice to see a few wild birds from our state. Mind sharing what general area(NW, Central or other) you were in. Not looking for specifics or anything. Just curious what part of the state.

Matt D

I hunted NW Ohio, Tiffin River to be exact. I nearly froze, only thing that kept me warm was the drive to find more birds. I would buy a phez stamp if they would release to establish population. I am not familair with the population efforts.

The stamp idea had been proposed and beat to death on message boards like this. I agree with the idea of establishing such a thing as long as that money went to establishing quality habitat and/or puchasing new land fo rthat reason. Quite frankly bird hunting does so little for the state money wise compared to deer, walleye and to a lesser degree turkey that I am not sure there is any desire to try to improve it. it is sad for sure.

I only had a couple of hours to slide out and hunt on the opener so ran over to Killdeer to hunt the release birds. Went 1 for 1 and then back to work.

ctybrddog - Did you find anything at the Tiffin?

Matt D

I hunted the central region. Yeah, who knows what the DNR and Ohio legislature would do with the money. I've seen more switch grass type cover lately do to some federal programs I think. Ohio is sad when it comes to upland. DNR likes to brag about deer and turkey but they don't say much about the poor grouse and pheasant populations.

Got one and the other flew towards the road. Seen plenty in the adjacent farm(private property). It seems that phez know you can't get'em over there.:mad:

We don't have many wild pheasants in Ohio but we definitely have the smartest birds in the country. They know how to leave a field and go to private property. Their motto is if we fly we die". They are runners. We were burned a couple of times. Always work every corner. The thing I hate about Ohio is that a lot of the public land is adjacent to a state highway.

Back