Newby from Minnesota

Improbablepun

Howdy! I'm just a fairly avid pheasant hunter from the SW burbs of the Twin Cities and am glad I found this board. I hunt behind a 4 year old lab I picked up as a rescue a few years back and didn't know exactly how it'd pan out. Thankfully he caught on pretty quickly and after seeing him really flourish last year, the anticipation of the upcoming season is killing me! My last hunting lab passed away in 2015 so it is a great feeling getting back into the swing of things. I generally hit up mostly WMAs and WPAs in the lower portion of the state and although it can be slim pickings from time to time on heavily hit public land, I don't mind putting the miles on my boots and seeing the continued improvement and excitement for it that the dog brings. Is it opener yet? Lol.

Welcome to the forum. What part of the state do you typically hunt? Also a twin cities guy here. You mention lower but I can picture alot of areas.

Welcome to the forum. What part of the state do you typically hunt? Also a twin cities guy here. You mention lower but I can picture alot of areas.
I generally hunt SW Scott County, LeSueur County, McLeod, Sibley and Renville Counties. With the dog finally progressing as he has, will also make it a point to get out farther west on the weekends. During the weekdays I generally head out towards the WMAs in Belle Plaine and LeSueur since they are a relatively short drive for me.

Don't be afraid to head north or northwest instead. The Alexandria area may not have as many birds, but you will surely encounter far less hunting pressure too. Everyone's always heading southwest or west towards the Dakotas. Get off that beaten path.

Don't be afraid to head north or northwest instead. The Alexandria area may not have as many birds, but you will surely encounter far less hunting pressure too. Everyone's always heading southwest or west towards the Dakotas. Get off that beaten path.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's a lot like fishing and life in general - get used to the spots and your own comfort level and it's hard to give entirely new spots a try. Much appreciated!

Back