New Year for Hatching

Cobblestone

I'm about ready to get the incubator cranked up and order some eggs. I have an old Barrel shaped Humidaire Incubator. Last year I hatched out 600 northern bobwhites and 200 chukars. Not sure which way to go this year. hopefully over spring break I can get a third pen started and maybe do some phez as well. I'm hoping to get the Ag. teacher here to build a flight pen at school.

Anyone have suggestions on which birds and how many I should go with?

Just that don't under-estimate the fighting nature of pheasants. They start early and often and require a lot of space, or debeaking, rose-colored glasses etc. Turkeys are even worse! Quail and chuckars are oh so much more social!

Pheasants need plenty of room and places to hide within the pen. Overcrowding is the worst thing. My pen is about 24 X 48 and 2 small ones about 8 X 12. I will have about 50 chicks started in a small pen to about 6 weeks the will let them go to the big pen. Hens get separated as roosters show color. Later 1 rooster to 8 hens in the small pens and and about 2 roosters to 16 hens in the big pen. I will select the best of the roosters for breeding. I feed a variety of food like corn, oats, wheat, sunflowers, millet a high protein supplement and in the laying season a commercial laying mash. I feed meat scraps like deer carcasses waste meat etc, seems to satisfy pheasants meat eating desire.

Back