new to this forum

beaglebob1

Lets get something started in our Ohio..I have English Pointers and a surrogator in operation at this time. I raise phes and quail on my farm and stock several in my area. hunting is fair to good.
bobby g

Last edited:
Lets get something started in our Ohio..I have English Pointers and a surrogator in operation at this time. I raise phes and quail on my farm and stock several in my area. hunting is fair to good.
bobby g
you got the right breed of dog but your hunting in the wrong state my man KANSAS is where its at!

I have to agree with u. But thats a long way from Cincinnati. I do hope to get a few trips in this year maybe kansas should be one of them.
bobby g

you got the right breed of dog but your hunting in the wrong state my man KANSAS is where its at!
Don't listen to OAP, he's crazy. Kansas doesn't have any pheasants at all, we just have some exotic ditch parrots that look like and sound like pheasants. Welcome to the site and enjoy it!

Never been to Kansas, any suggestions for a first timer to the state?
thx bobby g

if you're gonna drive to Kansas from Ohio you might as well go north to SD, you won't be disappointed. Opening day in Ohio we got up 10 roosters and killed 4 (2 people) on public ground. A few years ago a friend of mine who always hunts SD, hit Kansas for the opener. His son had a contact and they hunted private ground. I think they killed one bird over the weekend. But then again I use pointing labs so the pheasant sometimes come out of the cover with their wings up. :)

if you're gonna drive to Kansas from Ohio you might as well go north to SD, you won't be disappointed. Opening day in Ohio we got up 10 roosters and killed 4 (2 people) on public ground. A few years ago a friend of mine who always hunts SD, hit Kansas for the opener. His son had a contact and they hunted private ground. I think they killed one bird over the weekend. But then again I use pointing labs so the pheasant sometimes come out of the cover with their wings up. :)
it depends on if you want a mixed bag hunt kansas has tons more quail than sd and you might even luck out and kill a chicken to each is own ks where its at my man well unless you drive on trough like me and head towards the beach in cali im hunting bunnies all winter!

What part of Ohio? I have time to go to both KS and SD this winter. I own my company and winters are spent working on equipment for the next construction season. On another note seeing a lot of quail and phes from the surrogator releases. Had the dogs out last week and they where finding them.
quail are flying ok just not very far, Phes are another story, they are leaving the country.I have about 500 acres around my little 35 acres most of it is woods, beans, corn and a bunch of grown up areas. Should make for a few hunts.

kansas is where it is at for anything you want to hunt just don't be one of those guys who shows up on opening weekend for the first time and expect a slauter it wont happen unless you have peaple here that you know and even then its a gamble on the opening weekend we get alot of peaple here in this state on that weekend

It would be december january for me. I have some top beagles too. If we dont find birds I know we can som rabbits. I have a 6 dog trailer and a huge dog box so thinking I would bring 3 pointers and 3 beagles and try to hunt both. If I am going that far 12-14 hrs we would stay a week. thxs for the info. Any walk in areas info would be great!!
bobby g

I'm down by the Ohio River in south central Ohio. I'm actually thinking of skipping SDs opener and waiting til mid December to do a Kansas/Nebraska hunt. The quail are tempting me, not to mention the possibilty of bagging 7 pheasant in one day. I'm an optimist when it comes to pheasant hunting. I know what's waiting in SD but a chance to pull the trigger several more times in a day has me thinking KS/NE.

I am in the Bethel area. Seeing quail and phes everyday this past week. They are flying pretty good. We have some really good habitat,gravel and dirt rds, creek bottoms bean and corn fields with tons of cover. Surrogator has a batch ready to go in 10 days. I am going to run 2 more batches before nov. Should make for a few good hunts.Folks on the Rd are seeing birds as well.

bobby g

Hi Bob, I am looking for a segregator. What are you using and how do you like it? I am just north of rt70 near New Athens. We have 200 acres of mixed land and are surrounded by some 1200 more. I want to try to release some birds. We have some Grouse and Quail that have been around for about six years. We have not hunted them and they stay close to the food plots.

Bill

Guys, I made the drive from Ohio to Kansas last year for the first time. We got on pheasant, quail, and chickens. It was awesome. We are going back again this year for sure the week of Thanksgiving (same week we did last year). We leave the Saturday before Turkey Day to drive out. We then leave Kansas to return to Ohio the Friday after Turkey Day. That puts us back in time for the opener of Ohio deer. I can't say enough good things about Kansas. However, don't expect to see a hundred birds a day like they talk about in S.D. In Kansas the wild birds are not supplemented with the pen raised birds like S.D. does. You do have to work a little bit but it's worth it. I'd love to get an Ohio group together to go out there this year. I'm no expert, but I do have a feel for the area now and have a couple good spots. Anyone is welcome to join us (my dad and I) for all or part of the week.

Back