New to the MN Game

Wish the MN DNR would open the season a week or two later in October and then keep it open further into January instead. Crops are being harvested later, temps are cooler, and I‘d much rather hunt on a 20 degree January day than a 65 degree day in October.

Wish the MN DNR would open the season a week or two later in October and then keep it open further into January instead. Crops are being harvested later, temps are cooler, and I‘d much rather hunt on a 20 degree January day than a 65 degree day in October.
I could get behind that. Even 1 week less in October and 1 more in January I'd take. The last few years it's been incredibly warm on opener save for last year which was a little bit more of what I expect for October. I mean it was 80 degrees this year on opener, 80 a couple years ago.

There is no limit on the number of weeks that MN runs its pheasant season. State sets upland seasons. If the harvest is truly compensatory mortality then it would not make a difference to add a week or two. If the added harvest is additive on harvest or because people push birds out of prime night time cover and more birds (especially hens) are lost to other predators or exposure .. then that would need to be accounted for.

Waterfowl (and woodcock) season frameworks are set by the USF&WS.

I could get behind that. Even 1 week less in October and 1 more in January I'd take. The last few years it's been incredibly warm on opener save for last year which was a little bit more of what I expect for October. I mean it was 80 degrees this year on opener, 80 a couple years ago.
South Dakota is open the entire month of January, Iowa is open until mid January. The southern portion of MN has a similar climate to both of those states. It’s time to adjust the season accordingly. The second Saturday in October is way too early for pheasant hunting.

Back