New To The Forum

Hoss

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to take a minute and let everyone know a little about me and introduce myself.

My name is Chad, I live in SE Wisconsin, but will be moving to the Fox Valley area in a week or two due to a job relocation.

I have been hunting since I was 12, because my father got me started in the sport. I still do deer hunt, because I think it's some sort of law in Wisconsin. But about five or six years ago a few buddies got me interested in duck hunting, and when I was younger I used to hunt pheasant and grouse in Northern Michigan.

I just started pheasant hunting again (TODAY!) and I have a one year old British Lab named Hoss, hence the username. This was his first hunt, and I walked about four miles today, but Hoss probably walked ten miles. Actually he's been napping pretty much since we got home until now, for the past five or six hours.

When I was a teenager, my buddies and I would hunt pheasant and grouse, and all I can say is that it seemed a lot easier when I was younger, I remember getting quite a few birds back then. Of course, this year was high pressure public land, and then it was private land with no one for miles.

Well, I look forward to meeting and talking to everyone on the forums, and I plan on spending just a few hours in the field tomorrow, and I can let everyone know how that went.

I just started pheasant hunting again (TODAY!) and I have a one year old British Lab named Hoss, hence the username.

Welcome Hoss. Love your dog's name! As you may already know, the dog in my avatar was named "Hauss" (German spelling) too. Put that boy down in 2010.:( Great dog. British/American cross.

Anyway, good luck out there and hope you find some birds my friend.:cheers:

I just started pheasant hunting again (TODAY!) and I have a one year old British Lab named Hoss, hence the username.

Welcome Hoss. Love your dog's name! As you may already know, the dog in my avatar was named "Hauss" (German spelling) too. Put that boy down in 2010.:( Great dog. British/American cross.

Anyway, good luck out there and hope you find some birds my friend.:cheers:

I got Hoss from Muddy Paws Kennel in Sikeston, Missouri about a year ago. www.muddypawsmissouri.com I think is the website. The breeders name each litter but always after a different subject. My litter was after famous cowboys. So he was Hoss Cartwright.

I dropped the Cartwright when I registered him, and his AKC name is Muddy Paws Boss Hoss.

He's a great dog, but on an interesting note, I found out today that he's afraid of pheasants.

I went hunting with shorthairs4life this morning. He got a beautiful rooster about thirty of 45 minutes in to the hunt, and then I got a nice rooster about 30 or 45 minutes after that. We started hunting at quarter after seven and were done by about 8:30 or 9.

Hoss wouldn't get closer to about four feet from the bird. Shorthairs4life's dog, Cookie, did an awesome job pointing, and it would have been cool to have a dog to flush for us. But Hoss is only a year old, he'll get used to it over time.

I got the bird home and showed it to him, he was curious, and then after awhile he got in to sniff it a bit. Then I took the wings off and saved them for training, and he doesn't have a problem with those.

Hopefully next time he'll sniff something out for me.

welcome aboard Chad! Youre moving to Appleton area?
Im up there all the time.

I'll be moving to Winneconne, just southwest of Appleton. And right now I live pretty close to Spring Grove in Pleasant Prairie.

Unfortunately because of the move I won't be able to hunt for a week or two. Maybe three. Plus I have to find somewhere to go. Also I don't know anyone up there. But I've been on here for two days and already went hunting with another member, so things are looking up.

Maybe if you're up there or planning on coming up you can hit me up. We can hit the fields together and both be let down that my dog doesn't help anyone. :D

Back