New to Richard Bong State Park

Hoss

This is day one of the Wisconsin pheasant hunt, and here's my observations at what might be the states busiest public land.

The WDNR releases two birds per acre every year here, and this year they were supposed to release a record number of birds. They release birds twice a week for something like the first month of the season, then once a week for a few weeks, then not at all.

I talked to the ranger today and she said they released 180 birds on Thursday for opening day on Saturday. Plus, being new to the hunting spot, I stopped to talk to a few other hunters that were there early. This is the park where I train my dog, so I've had all summer to scout. And on the west end of the land, there's a highway and across the highway there is a large farm field. I found two large fields with tall grass and surrounded by woods all the way around. I thought it would be a great spot to see something on opening day. The pheasants could go feed in the morning and then go lay back down somewhere in the tall grasses.

Well, after the hunt, it was another story. I left the park at two PM, and the hunt started at noon. I left mostly because I misunderstood the rules. Bong closes hunting at two PM. I thought that applied to opening day as well, but I was wrong. It goes until six on opening day. Nine AM to two PM every other day.

I got the chance to talk to a few other hunters on my way out, and the state said they released a ton of birds, plus I hunted an area that was 2000 feet by 1000 feet by myself, and all the shooting was coming from across the road on private land.

I realize it's possible some birds went to the private land, but how realistic is it that most of them went there?

Talking to the ranger earlier in the year, she said it gets pretty busy for opening day, so I expected quite a few people there, but there really wasn't. Bong is an abandoned Air Force Base so everyone tends to hunt right where the airstrip is, but I went the exact opposite way because I thought my chances would increase.

Also, talking to the other hunters I saw, they said the same thing, that a lot of shooting was coming from west of them, and I was west of everyone I talked to, so it must have been from across the highway.

Is anyone on here familiar with Bong? The east side of the park seemed to be busier with the parking lot full when I got there an hour before it opened. But I went to the furthest west lot and I was there with four or five other hunters.

Is there a better place than that far west to hunt at Bong?

Thanks for any help.

I can't help you. The one time I "hunted" it I saw dumb roosters running the roads in areas you couldn't "hunt" and when 9:00 arrived everyone hit the fields running. The birds weren't good flyers and could be handled by any dog.

So much more enjoyable places to hunt. For example I hunted a decent sized public marsh that isn't stocked with birds. I had my bird by 12:30, we hunted a couple more hours so the other guys could get birds and I saw double digit numbers of roosters and also some hens. I never saw another pheasant hunter.

I don't say this to be a jerk but to encourage guys to take advantage of what we do have for pheasant hunting in this state.

I like Bong for the dog training area, even though I've run in to several less than friendly people and it is busy. However, in SE WI, we are VERY limited to where we can hunt, especially pheasant. And I don't consider New Munster a great place, it's mostly dense forest.

Bong is a battle zone where you'll see some of the worst shots and most poorly trained dogs on the planet. Yes, they stock a fair amount of birds but there are plenty of days where they literally sell out of the daily tags you buy when you enter the grounds. It is nice to have that grounds in SE Wisconsin, but it really gets pressured and sometimes that leads to not a quality experience. A couple of years ago, I saw a guy flush a bird out in the field across from the tower. He missed it and the bird glided across the field back toward the enterence (east). FOUR other groups of guys shot at it as it flew by them. All missed. Two of the four groups immediately went after it with their dogs. It was crazy.

I hunted there many years ago.
Hunt there long enough and someone will shoot over your head(if youre lucky)
I never went back. Guys lining the edges of the parking lots and running to the fields at shooting time. Just nuts. Its not why I hunt

I only went on opening day. I didn't see or hear anyone shoot, except across the street. And at shooting time no one ran anywhere.

Actually, there wasn't many people there at all. I went to an area where I knew people were hunting, and I did see one other guy, but he was two or three hundred yards away.

But on Sunday, a member here, shorthairs4life, was kind enough to take me to his spot a county north of me. It was a little bit of a drive, but worth every bit of it. His dog was great and got me a great bird. My dog was afraid of it. Hoss got a little more used to it when I got him home, but he is young yet and needs to be more exposed to hunting. Unfortunately I probably won't be out much for the next month because of me moving. Moving had to come at the worst time.

However on Sunday shorthairs4life got a bird like 30 or 40 minutes in. And I got mine (only because he backed me up after I took a horrible shot an winged him) about 40 minutes after him. It was nice to be out of the field by 9AM.

The downside is by ten AM I wanted to be back in the field, but I already had limited out for the day, and I couldn't go.

We saw, if I remember correctly, four or five birds within less than two hours. If I lived closer I'd hunt the area he took me to a lot more often.

wait, so driving to the next county is a far drive for you? I drive hours and hours to hunt for a few hours...do what ya gotta do..

Hoss

I'm glad to hear you worked with the dog after you got back home. It's nice to hear Hoss is coming around to our fine feathered friends. Good luck with your move.

Well, technically it's three counties away. I live in Wisconsin, but I can spit and hit Illinois from my house. So Kenosha, Racine, and Waukesha counties. Overall the drive really wasn't that bad, especially considering the outcome.

I'm glad to hear you worked with the dog after you got back home. It's nice to hear Hoss is coming around to our fine feathered friends. Good luck with your move.

I really do appreciate you taking me Sunday. I'm still talking about it and showing people at work photos.

I did start Hoss probably a little early. He's young, and he really didn't know what we were doing in that field. For him it was just another walk.

I think he'll come around, but probably more next year. Which is okay, because I have a strange feeling I won't have a chance to hunt much more this year. Which is horrible.

Well, technically it's three counties away. I live in Wisconsin, but I can spit and hit Illinois from my house. So Kenosha, Racine, and Waukesha counties. Overall the drive really wasn't that bad, especially considering the outcome.

im the opposite, Im a hundred yards S of the line. Right by Wilmot Mntn and the old Gander warehouse

im the opposite, Im a hundred yards S of the line. Right by Wilmot Mntn and the old Gander warehouse

Yeah I'm very familiar with Spring Grove. I have (had) stores in McHenry, Crystal Lake, Cary, and Round Lake. I've been through Spring Grove quite a bit.

I grew up in Burlington hunting in the early 70's and my dad actually worked on the airbase in the 50's before they mothballed it. With a lot of friends and relatives on farms, we had a lot of good private land to hunt and so didn't have to hunt places like Bong. One time a friend of Dad's asked us to hunt there with him. There were guys everywhere and we were rained with shot several times. First and only time we hunted there. Not for us.

what stores?

I am a regional employee for a large auto parts retailer.

I've got to be kind of vague for lots of reasons, so I apologize, but the honest truth is by being vague I make my job sound a lot more important than it is.

It's also the employer that is relocating me, and as of last Sunday technically those stores aren't mine anymore. Tomorrow I start in my new area in northern Wisconsin and next week we officially move from Kenosha to northern Wisconsin.

Tomorrow I start in my new area in northern Wisconsin and next week we officially move from Kenosha to northern Wisconsin.

Off to grouse county:D:)

Good luck with your transfer.:cheers:

I am a regional employee for a large auto parts retailer.

I've got to be kind of vague for lots of reasons, so I apologize, but the honest truth is by being vague I make my job sound a lot more important than it is.

It's also the employer that is relocating me, and as of last Sunday technically those stores aren't mine anymore. Tomorrow I start in my new area in northern Wisconsin and next week we officially move from Kenosha to northern Wisconsin.

Good luck with the move north. After graduating from high school in Burlington and going off to college, my family moved north. Best thing Dad ever did. It switched us from pheasant hunters to grouse and woodcock. With the sad state of pheasant hunting in S WI now, we've got a lot better hunting in the northwoods. Grouse in my area are down some, but woodcock population is outstanding this year. My buddies who hunt west of the Wisconsin River are really seeing a lot of grouse this year, 10 flushes per hour. I'm lucky to get 5-6 a day.

Good luck with the move north. After graduating from high school in Burlington and going off to college, my family moved north. Best thing Dad ever did. It switched us from pheasant hunters to grouse and woodcock. With the sad state of pheasant hunting in S WI now, we've got a lot better hunting in the northwoods. Grouse in my area are down some, but woodcock population is outstanding this year. My buddies who hunt west of the Wisconsin River are really seeing a lot of grouse this year, 10 flushes per hour. I'm lucky to get 5-6 a day.

One of my new stores from the transfer is in Weston. I was there this past Thursday, first time I was in Wausau in 15 or more years. That town got huge. I swear it was two stop lights in that town 15 years ago.

I will be living in Winneconne, and my area covers everything from Wausau to Fond Du Lac.

I hunted grouse last about, um, 20 years ago almost. In the UP. I haven't actually left Kenosha yet, we load up and move tomorrow. But my biggest worry is finding someplace to hunt before any season is over.

On top of that I'm supposed to deer hunt this year, and I don't even know if I'll have time to do that. So much hunting to do, so little time.

Back