New-to-me hunting rig

cockerfan

A couple of weeks ago we had a large hailstorm in my area and my Camry was totaled from the hail. It was actually a huge blessing because my "dog collection" keeps growing, and gas prices make it impractical to drive my Ridgeline every time I take the dogs somewhere. I was really looking for something that would get good gas mileage AND work well with the dogs. I'm planning on doing a fair amount of traveling in the future for HTs, FTs, and hunting trips, so I wanted the replacement vehicle to work well for that. Well, this morning I found what I think is the perfect fit. It's not much to look at, but I think it'll get the job done. It has AWD too, so it might actually work okay in the snow. Best part? I'm putting $1700 in the bank from what'll be left over from the insurance check :)
2011-04-23185727.jpg

Looks good,

I'm trying to get rid of my dodge 3500, and pick up something just like you pick up right there.:thumbsup:

Pray for a hail storm :) This Suby is almost a little too "Urban" for me, but I think it's going to work well. It's a '98, and has 140k on it, but it just got new a new timing belt, water pump, CV joints, coil, plugs, wires, tires, and probably something else. I've got my fingers crossed that it'll get me where I want to get!

I think you will be happy with it.
We recently gave our '99 outback to our daughter and it is still going strong. Good dependable cars. I think the outback has a little bit more ground clearance than the forester. I need more clearance than I can get with one so I will stick with a truck.
Have fun with it:)

Looks to be perfect for purpose.

My favorite vehicle was a '88 VW Fox 2-door wagon, very tired when I got it, no heater, but which refused to die or need repair except for the brake lines which rusted through with almost predictable frequency.

Got a J.C. Whitney RV supplemental heater installed (which over-achieved) and there I had it: perfect canoe, dog, shotgun, camping gear, good mpg vehicle which would NEVER get stolen. (Not that that is an issue in rural WI)

Didn't die, but had to get rid of it after the mechanic said that if I ever hit a deer, I'd be sitting on the seat, holding the steering wheel, on top of a pile of rust. :(

Kid who bought it was going to fix the undercarriage and drive to California. It is probably still going.

Happy trails to you. :thumbsup:

Looks like it'll do the trick. Now you're going to have to listen to the dogs bark, and they aint going to want to stay in a cage ever again:D
I needed a new farm truck bought a county conservation truck figured it hasn't done much work:D Ford F350 it's plain but can it pull:thumbsup: Not to good when you have to fill it:(

Looks like it'll do the trick. Now you're going to have to listen to the dogs bark, and they aint going to want to stay in a cage ever again:D
I needed a new farm truck bought a county conservation truck figured it hasn't done much work:D Ford F350 it's plain but can it pull:thumbsup: Not to good when you have to fill it:(

I actually thought of you when I made this post. Is an old farmer like you going to be able ride around in a Suby? And, if you try to get me to park in a 5' snow bank, we might not make it out this time :D

BTW, my dog's don't bark. They're "English Bred" :)

Back