New to KS---any leads on put-n-take places?

dadplus3

This is our first hunting season to be Kansas residents (all our hunting was done in Indiana prior to now) and I'd like to take my boys somewhere this weekend for pheasant hunting. Is there a place someone would recommend that wouldn't be too far from Olathe?

This is our first hunting season to be Kansas residents (all our hunting was done in Indiana prior to now) and I'd like to take my boys somewhere this weekend for pheasant hunting. Is there a place someone would recommend that wouldn't be too far from Olathe?

What do you consider far? I think the closest place to you that you may have a chance would be Fort Riley, Milford Lake or Seneca. I've even heard that there are some birds around Perry lake(Valley Falls). But not sure about that.

Me and another guy on here go out about every other weekend and just split the cost of fuel and hotel. Your more then welcome to come along..:thumbsup:

I think he means preserves??? If so Eckmans,Country Hunts, RavenWood..

If you want to hunt preserves then try Garden City, Missouri. It is called Frye's Pheasants. I work with his son and they have a "no touch" policy and handle the birds as little as possible. I hunted there 2 years ago and the birds flew like crazy, not get up and then fly for 10 feet and then go back down, I mean they flat motivated away from me. Pretty reasonable and it is a great hunt. Good Luck

dadplus3,

I bought an afternoon hunt at Eckman's in Baldwin City last year... Relatively short drive from Olathe and a nice guy running the show out there. I took my own dog and my brother in law and I were the only two there that afternoon.

I personally prefer wild birds, but it was a fun hunt. We tagged all the pheasant he put out for us, and missed a couple of the quail. Might be what you're looking for.

Good luck,
Ron

Thanks to all for your help! As we don't have a resource for hunting those wild birds, your help may help us to get a bit of time in the field at a preserve nonetheless.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kansas has lots to offer. Pick up a Walk in map from Wal-mart.

Dad+

Welcome to Kansas and the forum. I want to tell you about one of the best values you can find anywhere in the country, and that is the Kansas Lifetime Hunting and Fishing licenses. Myself and my two grown sons that now live in Kansas City, Missouri, all have them. My sons are treated like Kansas residents for big game tags, plus have lifetime hunting and fishing privileges in Kansas. Oh, they have to buy the annual stamps(waterfowl, hip), then any other big game tags, but they pay the resident price.

The way we purchased our lifetime licenses was the eight quarterly payment plan. You pay every three months and with the final payment the license is issued. During the payment period, your receipt of your scheduled payment serves as your license. You can buy either fishing or hunting or the combo.

In Kansas it is easy to go after some wild birds. There is lots of public land open to hunting and there is over a million acres of private land that is open in the Walk In Hunting Area(WIHA).

Again, welcome and God Bless,

Kansas Creek Game Birds

Kansas Creek Game Birds has a website. It is about 4 hrs (too far perhaps) from Olathe in southern Republic Co. just north of Concordia. Rod Zohn has good, pheasant stock plus chukars, and quail.

Back