New to Hunting Kansas Phesant Please help!

cleaner

I have grew up hunting phesants in the panhandle of Texas. I am looking to start hunting Kansas. Any sugestions what part of Kansas a newbie should hunt?

Thank you in advance.

I have grew up hunting phesants in the panhandle of Texas. I am looking to start hunting Kansas. Any sugestions what part of Kansas a newbie should hunt?

Thank you in advance.

It really depends on your budget and your interests. WHEN you are coming is something to be considered as well. Do you want to hunt tall grass or do you like the wheat stubble? There are parts of the state that have lower densities of birds, but oftentimes, those areas provide less pounded public hunting opportunities. If you're wanting to see loads of birds (and hunters), go with KDWP's report. If you want to have a few acres to yourself, start prospecting outside the "best" pheasant ranges. I have to make decisions with respect to a budget. If I were an Okie or a Texanon a limited budget that wanted to experience an enjoyable hunt on public land, I would consider SC KS. If you're coming later in the year, SW KS offers many good WIHA opportunities just a couple of counties N of the border. These areas are ugly during the first couple weeks of season, because there are hunters everywhere. Good luck!

Introduce someone new to the sport when you go!

Last edited:
Kansas hunting

Thank you in advance.

North central and northwest Kansas are the usual good areas. Have a great season.

North central and northwest Kansas are the usual good areas. Have a great season.

I don't agree with this statement. SW KS has some extraordinary pheasant hunting nearly every year. I hunt where I hunt because of consistency, something that NC KS doesn't have. I havent' hunt NW that much so I can't comment on that, but I have hunted NC KS regularly for awhile. I KNOW there aren't many birds on the far east side of Region 3 this year because I've been there scouting. If you want to spend the money driving all the way to NW KS go for it, but I don't think you're going to see many more birds than you would if you hunted SW KS (just not extreme SW KS this year). If you lived in Nebraska I would've recommended Gove county for its abundance of public ground and close proximity to your coordinance. If there were the same quail hunting opportunities in N Texas as there are in S Texas, I certainly wouldn't drive all the way to El Paso to go quail hunting.

I'll be in NW KS for the youth opener and I'll let you know how it goes.

Hello again, Cleaner

If you follow Kansasbrittany's advice to hunt SW Kansas but not "extreme" SW Kansas, you will be about a 2 hour drive from the Nebraska line with lots of NW Kansas in between where the bird numbers are reported to be up 35% this year. Since you are in the panhandle, it does not make much sense for you to go much east when such good areas lie mostly north of you. Gove County, mentioned by Kansasbrittany, is an excellent choice and it is surrounded by other good pheasant hunting counties.

Have a great hunt.

If you follow Kansasbrittany's advice to hunt SW Kansas but not "extreme" SW Kansas, you will be about a 2 hour drive from the Nebraska line with lots of NW Kansas in between where the bird numbers are reported to be up 35% this year. Since you are in the panhandle, it does not make much sense for you to go much east when such good areas lie mostly north of you. Gove County, mentioned by Kansasbrittany, is an excellent choice and it is surrounded by other good pheasant hunting counties.

Have a great hunt.

Sorry Cleaner,

My definition of extreme SW KS includes the bottom 4 counties.

Didn't check the distance on the drive before I posted. If you are on the W side of the panhandle, you probably are closer to some of the counties in NW KS. I had guessed you were much closer to Kiowa county than Gove county. Best of luck this fall.

Last edited:
Back