New to forum

ga dog

I'm from Ga. and would like some advise about where I might find a Hun in SD or ND. I am getting older and this is one upland bird I would love to have mounted. I am booked for a early Nov. hunt near Gettysburg. I plan to stay extra days to sight see and maybe harvest ONE Hun. I have dogs. Your advise will be much appreciated. THANKS, Ga Dog

Not sure if you booked with an outfit or not, but if you can access ground west of the river, I think that would be your best bet. It can be a challenge as a lot of the land is tribal, but if you're with an outfitter, they can likely put you in the best position to harvest a hun. I've got a buddy who ranches in that general vicinity and we harvest huns from time to time out there. Interesting story, a few years ago I was out there deer hunting and the wind was so brutal that I drove past a covey that refused to fly. There were about a dozen little birds stumbling through the stubble. No, I did not lay waste to them, even though that might have been my first inclination. :)

I've been going up the last 5 years and I've never seen a Hun in South Dakota. We've seen several in North Dakota and even killed a few.

I've hunted all over SD quite a bit since 2008, the only time I've seen a Hun was in 2013 somewhere west of Chamberlain, East of Vivan, South of the Missouri River.

I was lucky enough to shoot one around 2008 in the NE part of the state. I guess what we’re seeing is that its a complete unexpected bonus if you take one. Dont plan a trip around them

I'm from Ga. and would like some advise about where I might find a Hun in SD or ND. I am getting older and this is one upland bird I would love to have mounted. I am booked for a early Nov. hunt near Gettysburg. I plan to stay extra days to sight see and maybe harvest ONE Hun. I have dogs. Your advise will be much appreciated. THANKS, Ga Dog
Welcome to the forum.
Every year I manage to get a couple around my place early in the season, but they aren't real abundant hereabouts. Had a pair nest in my shelter belt this spring. We often saw them hanging out in the yard with our chickens & guineas.

To get into them here in ND, you really need to hunt the NW corner of the state. There are a couple guys on the forum that do pretty well on huns & sharps up there...

Back