New to Bird Dogs

Stepheni

I live in Nevada, and recently purchased an English Pointer from a good friend and breeder in Kansas. He seems to show a lot of potential, he will stand out in the yard pointing any bird that moves. I am trying to find him a good trainer somewhere around here, California, New Mexico, Arizona, or Nevada. I would like to avoid having to drive him all the way back to Kansas for training, but I guess if I have to I will.

Welcome to UPH, we are happy top have you here. Drop in often, the gang here is great.-... Bob

Training the Dog

I live in Nevada, and recently purchased an English Pointer from a good friend and breeder in Kansas. He seems to show a lot of potential, he will stand out in the yard pointing any bird that moves. I am trying to find him a good trainer somewhere around here, California, New Mexico, Arizona, or Nevada. I would like to avoid having to drive him all the way back to Kansas for training, but I guess if I have to I will.

Why not train the dog yourself?

Why not train the dog yourself?

I have no clue how to train a bird dog. I would hate to mess him up. He is already pointing and seems eager. With the limited knowledge I have regarding bird dogs I would be worried I would lead him in the wrong direction.

Trust me...he will train you first...:D

Believe me he is already working on that. I have always owned small dogs, so having gunner in our house is a big change. He has already trained me to keep any and all food atleast 3 feet from the edge of the counter, he has trained me to wake up at 6 am to let him out to chase the birds that he heard from the bedroom window, and he has been trying to convince me that it is not his place to walk on the end of a leash. So I am learning.

Stepheni, How old is that pointer, it seems to have a lot of ideas for a pup.---Bob

Back