New state record boar!

Wow that things huge.:eek: I wonder what kind of eating those things make? The meat on that thing has to be tough:confused:

Nick

If I had to guess I'd say that thing was all but inedible. Sausage is probably the only way to eat it and even then I bet it would be very strong in taste. I personally won't shoot a pig over 150lbs and given a choice I'll take a 100 or so pound sow any day over a boar.:thumbsup:

If I had to guess I'd say that thing was all but inedible. Sausage is probably the only way to eat it and even then I bet it would be very strong in taste. I personally won't shoot a pig over 150lbs and given a choice I'll take a 100 or so pound sow any day over a boar.:thumbsup:

QH? Never done it. Can you explain further? Big, old pigs/hogs are too tough or too parasite-ridden or too gamey?

We've got some feral pigs in an area about 100 miles away and I always wondered about meat-hunting them, but have talked myself out of it. Just getting feral pigs butchered and processed might be difficult.

Thanks.

Basically Kis, the bigger a boar gets the tougher and more gamey the meat becomes and they can become inedible imo. Even the sausage I had made out of a 150lb boar was pretty strong in flavor. I do know of some guys who spend all spring catching (with dogs) yearling boars and castrating them so they will produce a lot of good meat when they grow but intact males meat gets worse as they get older. A 100-150lb sows meat is better than any pork you can buy at the store though. The pigs around me are a mix of feral domestics and real wild boars so the meat is better because of that also I believe but that big beast looks to be almost pure wild boar to me.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the last hog I shot that was caught by my 50lb male springer on a quail hunt. This guy was probably around 80 or 90lbs and ate like store bought pork. You can see how much domestic pig blood our hogs around me have in them.

IMAG0173.jpg

Those young hogs are good eating.
There is NOTHING!!! nastier then a mature boar hog!!!
Anything!! I mean ANYTHING would be better eating.
If You do need to cook up boar, do it outside!!!

Smell, stink, Ohhhhhhh I've lost my appetite just thinking. :eek:

Okay Okay! I got the point Wayne.LOL Never take a chunk off a BIG OLD BOAR!!

:):cheers:

Nick.

Here's a pic of the last hog I shot that was caught by my 50lb male springer on a quail hunt. This guy was probably around 80 or 90lbs and ate like store bought pork. You can see how much domestic pig blood our hogs around me have in them.

IMAG0173.jpg

You shoot it with a quail load or something else?

Just curious.

That would be illegal in my "lead free" big game zone.:thumbsup: Luckily we were only a hundred or so yards from the truck when my dog caught him and I just happened to have a tag and grandpas 22mag in the truck with some copper bullets. I hustled back and got it (all the while my dog holding him) and dispatched him. That was 2 christmas' ago and sadly I can't hunt that ranch anymore since the owner leased grazing rights to another rancher.:(

And yes, that's green grass on Christmas eve in Ca.:D

That would be illegal in my "lead free" big game zone.:thumbsup: Luckily we were only a hundred or so yards from the truck when my dog caught him and I just happened to have a tag and grandpas 22mag in the truck with some copper bullets. I hustled back and got it (all the while my dog holding him) and dispatched him. That was 2 christmas' ago and sadly I can't hunt that ranch anymore since the owner leased grazing rights to another rancher.:(

I was hoping you were going to answer Wisturk's question with "I killed it with a knife". lol I've seen a few videos where guys go in "Rambo style" for the kill on those nasty things:eek:

Nick

Haha. Sorry Nick but I'm not that hard core.:D

I've eaten pieces of a number of wild pigs and they've been uniformly delicious. I don't recall the sex or size but I liked it.
The last wild pig I saw was August of this year in Gridley. I was scouting dove spots and a guy was driving North on 99 pulling a trailer with one of those 6 wheel ATVs on it with a big plywood platform from the front seat back. He had a boar hog spread eagled on it that looked like it took up the whole sheet of plywood. It was 100 degrees and he was baking it slowly in the sun. If big boar hogs are as bad as everyone says he must have been just taking it home to throw away given the care he gave it. He'd be lucky he didn't have to throw the ATV away too.

Back