New regs

They got started from aviaries and are now considered invasive. Collareds reproduce so fast they will over run a pen and people just let them go, the flock around my house got its start from my pen and now anywhere from 20-100 take up residence in the pines that surround my property depending on feed availability. I really don't see many out hunting unless you are pretty close to a farm house with big trees, they are pretty urban. Easy to identify in flight since they are bigger and lighter than a mourning dove and they also fly a lot slower and have a blunt tail as opposed to a mourning doves pointed tail. They are very similar to a ban tailed pigeon, just a bit smaller and without the beautiful pearl feathers that ban tails have.

I'm also excited they raised the fall turkey limit to two birds. There's nothing quite like thinking your dog is about to put up a rooster and a big ol' turkel bird comes up instead.

Huh, interesting. Are they essentially a pigeon then? And is there an actual collar they wear? or is that just a term for the markings? Probably could sell them to trainers if you can catch a bunch.:D:thumbsup: Bring me a few hundred LOL.

Ken the Eurasian doves have moved into Spouthern MN. Haven't seen any up here yet. They are in MT, every town with trees has them. Up along the Hi Line the grain elevators with all the spilled grain there are large flocks.
They like towns and people. But they do get out and feed in harvested fields especially sunflower fields with a water hole close by. Their tame and so easy to hit compared to the Mourning doves.
Mourning Doves are migratory, the Euasians stick around. You don't see the Eurasians out nesting in the country side.
I don't see a threat to the native doves in the Northern states. I can see them being competitive in warm climates where the native doves Winter?

No doubt birds of prey such as Kestrels have an easy time with the Collared doves compared Mourning doves. Maybe a benefit.:thumbsup:

Back