New pump acton shotgun?

I have an 870 Express that I only use for turkeys and carry on trips as a backup. 3" mag Turkey loads come in boxes of 10 rounds. 2 rounds for patterning. Leaving 8 turkeys I can shoot before needing to buy another box and go through patterning again. OH! If I never have to shoot a mag load at a target again! Call me a whimp, but if I was going to shoot mag loads more than once or twice I'd go with an autoloader to absorb the recoil. I can't imagine the torture of a 3.5" mag in a light pump gun.

I shot one turkey that had come straight in, then circled around me. I shot it sitting with my back to a tree, it circled left and I leaned around the tree to shoot it. The next morning I woke up to a sore shoulder. At first, as I'm rolling my arm around trying to get out the kinks, I wondered what the heck I could have done. Then I realized I had shot that turkey in an odd position.

HAHAHA, YES! I won't call you a wimp at all. My deer rifle is a bolt action 30.06, and I swear it doesn't kick half as hard as those turkey loads. I've shot at least half a box of 30.06 at one sitting, zeroing a new scope and then just shooting up cans and water bottles for fun. I can't imagine wanting to shoot those turkey loads out of a pump at paper ever again. I remember shooting it twice, and that was about all I could take.
:cheers:

I have owned every shotgun out there both pumps and auto loaders. As far as pumps go, the Benelli Super Nova was the worst feeling gun ever as far as pumps go. The old Wingmasters and BPS are top notch. However the best pump gun made is the both the old and new Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight. Can't believe you all have not mentioned the Ithaca. Got my first one in the mid 70's.

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.php

Yes, I have a 37 and it is I feel as good or better than my model 12 or 870. They are a little higher price, but worth the money.

I'm a lefty and have four Ohio Ithaca 37's. Keep an eye on gunbroker or similar sites. I bought a 28 and a 16 straight from Ithaca. Found a 20 and a 12 new in the box online for much cheaper.

I'm a lefty and have four Ohio Ithaca 37's. Keep an eye on gunbroker or similar sites. I bought a 28 and a 16 straight from Ithaca. Found a 20 and a 12 new in the box online for much cheaper.

I'm shoot left handed also, did you switch the safeties ? It's pretty easy.

Yep and saved the right safeties and instructions for my son when I leave them for him...

It wasn't too bad and I'm not that good with that kind of stuff. Funny, I've learned to flip a right safety with my pointer finger over the years. Actually took a little getting used to having an actual left hand safety.

I've had a lot of guns and the 37 is kind of in a league of its own in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back