New MT Guy

HNDLDR

Just found this Forum the other day. I’m looking forward to learning lots from you all.
At 45 I am in my infancy of learning to pheasant hunt. I have a little golden retriever. She was trained by me so there is a lot her and I don’t know. We started in North Dakota where we got a few birds. Now I live in Billings Mt and am starting all over figuring out where to go. This year was a mess and we didn’t make it out but I’m hoping to hit it hard next season.FEB66A0A-4C7A-49F3-B1B2-69A0066AFF06.jpeg

Just found this Forum the other day. I’m looking forward to learning lots from you all.
At 45 I am in my infancy of learning to pheasant hunt. I have a little golden retriever. She was trained by me so there is a lot her and I don’t know. We started in North Dakota where we got a few birds. Now I live in Billings Mt and am starting all over figuring out where to go. This year was a mess and we didn’t make it out but I’m hoping to hit it hard next season.View attachment 2706
Pm me. I'll steer you in the right direction.

Attachments

• 20211202_110525.jpg
    20211202_110525.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Welcome And congrats on the golden. I hunt around your area a good bit. Getin touch with me sometime and we can run the dogs.

Welcome to the site! Things seem to slow down here as the seasons start to close. A lot of personalities here but no politics, which is unusually, but I love it.

Welcome to the site! Things seem to slow down here as the seasons start to close. A lot of personalities here but no politics, which is unusually, but I love it.
Yeah I’m sure I picked the wrong time of year to join. I’m all about meeting the personalities. I’m perfectly content voicing my politics elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with your timing, just don't forget about us when the season is over, still will be some chatter here. You should fit-in fine!

Hey there, Hndlr, nice to meet you.
Your timing is perfect because you have months to let your pup run and play and scent and learn. She will be developing skills and knowledge that, really, humans have no clue about. Walking and working with her with simple commands, playing fetch on the walks, letting her learn about water and wildlife critters---she's building her own encyclopedia for more that just her canine self, she's developing skills in what will be one of the greatest friendships you will ever have. Let her have joy and the canine satisfaction of pleasing her bi-ped.

Welcome to the adventure.

Do well.

Hey there, Hndlr, nice to meet you.
Your timing is perfect because you have months to let your pup run and play and scent and learn. She will be developing skills and knowledge that, really, humans have no clue about. Walking and working with her with simple commands, playing fetch on the walks, letting her learn about water and wildlife critters---she's building her own encyclopedia for more that just her canine self, she's developing skills in what will be one of the greatest friendships you will ever have. Let her have joy and the canine satisfaction of pleasing her bi-ped.

Welcome to the adventure.

Do well.
She does pretty well. She finds the birds and kicks them up. I shoot them and she brings them back. We just don’t have that whole fancy command thing down. I afraid we might be a little socially unacceptable around some hunting crowds.

She does pretty well. She finds the birds and kicks them up. I shoot them and she brings them back. We just don’t have that whole fancy command thing down. I afraid we might be a little socially unacceptable around some hunting crowds.
We would get along just fine!!

Back