New Mexico quail tour!

Goal was 14 days total… we made it 9. Started with 5 dogs down to three mid trip. Injuries were bad luck no doubt, but my mistake was trying to hunt hard 3 days in a row when weather turned hot. The remaining dogs did great but just worn down. This was not a motel trip we stayed at a friends house two nights mid trip, rest was tapui tent at public campsites. It was absolute blast! Had quail dinner every night at camp!

Goal was 14 days total… we made it 9. Started with 5 dogs down to three mid trip. Injuries were bad luck no doubt, but my mistake was trying to hunt hard 3 days in a row when weather turned hot. The remaining dogs did great but just worn down. This was not a motel trip we stayed at a friends house two nights mid trip, rest was tapui tent at public campsites. It was absolute blast! Had quail dinner every night at camp!
Awesome! Definitely seems more of a hunt sparingly type trip instead of the prairies or for bobs if limited on dog power

And skunks, 2 kinds , Rattlers, scorpions, javelinas, Jaguars, coyotes , puma, and heard tell of Mexican lobo!!!

Killed a rattlesnake this year in every month of quail season, most are just out soaking up sun on a rock. Porcupines are real common in my range, see them weekly

Had to squeeze in one more update, made a contact on my tour with a large land owner who traded a day of access on his ranch if he could tag along. We moved 8 coveys with 3 dogs and stayed in birds most of the day. Capped off the last walk before dark with a covey of blues that numbered 50-60. It was an awesome sight as they ran the ground in front of us like ants on the ground. Great property with low pressure made for an amazing day, and reassuring there are generous people still left in this world.

Killed a rattlesnake this year in every month of quail season, most are just out soaking up sun on a rock. Porcupines are real common in my range, see them weekly
Maybe this question should have been in a new thread? Quail nerd, I assume you snake break your dogs? If a guy was to come to the desert, could he snake break a dog with a non-poisones snake? do rattle snakes smell different?

Use what you’ve got, I would try a pissed off bullsnake and let it strike. The sound can’t be replicated in my opinion. Best snake braking I ever saw was some guys defanged a 4 footer and threw him on the ground as we walked dogs in on him with shock collars on high. Some dogs jumped in head first, others ran to the truck they all act different. Very important to let the snake strike. I’ve had two dogs bitten and both instances were two creatures just crossing paths at the wrong time, dogs didn’t lunge in. Best place to take a bite for a dog is the head, where most naturally occur. Chest/hips/flanks with muscle are trouble. I do a yearly rattlesnake vaccine that is not full proof, but gives u a chance

Some guys carry a antihistamine to give in the field after a bite, my vet doesn’t seem to think it will make much difference. Just pack up and head for town!

Had to squeeze in one more update, made a contact on my tour with a large land owner who traded a day of access on his ranch if he could tag along. We moved 8 coveys with 3 dogs and stayed in birds most of the day. Capped off the last walk before dark with a covey of blues that numbered 50-60. It was an awesome sight as they ran the ground in front of us like ants on the ground. Great property with low pressure made for an amazing day, and reassuring there are generous people still left in this world.
Sounds like a hell of a hunt. Congratulations, when those days come along it makes us want to hunt every day, lol

Back