New member!

COhuntinggal

Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and thrilled to get to know some of you and learn some new information about hunting in Iowa. I grew up pheasant hunting in eastern Colorado / western Nebraska. I was introduced to quail hunting in Kansas a few years later by a well-known member here (Prairie Drifter) when I worked for KWPDT as a wildlife technician. I got my master's degree in Illinois and did a lot of pheasant hunting here, although wild birds were few and far between. My next move is to Iowa next week! I've also been thinking about getting a bird dog within the next couple of years. I'm an avid bowhunter, upland bird/turkey hunter, and waterfowl hunter. Look forward to getting to know you guys. Cheers!

Attachments

• pheasant.jpg
    pheasant.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
Welcome. Just about any place in IA will likely be better hunting then IL was. What part of IA are you heading to? As you know a dog will increase your success greatly. Best of luck.

Limited public ground, but there is some out there. Getting networking to find some private ground, Check out the local PF chapter also, Get that dog once you get settled. Welcome to the site.

Welcome. Just about any place in IA will likely be better hunting then IL was. What part of IA are you heading to? As you know a dog will increase your success greatly. Best of luck.
Thanks! That's what I've heard. We're moving to Brandon, IA which is about 30 min NW of Cedar Rapids.

Welcome and enjoy the journey down the pheasant highway. Find the best cover you can and knock on doors, will meet some of the best people in the midwest.

Welcome CO, you'll certainly get plenty of good advice here. Good luck with your 1st bird dog. Win lose or draw you won't forget it.

Consider a rescue dog. My current Brittany is a rescue and an excellent hunter and wonderful companion. Before her I had another rescue Brit. Cheers to you too!

Last edited:
Yes he is! A setter is definitely on the radar. I've been doing research on quite a few different breeds. I got to hunt with Troy a few times over his setters. Fun stuff.
This setter came from Bruce Murffy. He’s around Des Moines. Excellent nose, crazy drive, great off switch, around 45lbs. I’d look there if I were you.

Attachments

• 7F63C633-9110-490C-B2F5-22425B0090CD.jpeg
    7F63C633-9110-490C-B2F5-22425B0090CD.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 1
Back