I agree would be great for the dogs to experience. Maybe a day rate farm would be a good option. No competition for the cover, lots of birds for the dogs and cheaper than a guide while your dogs get the experience. If wanting to go that route there are many people that can offer you guidance and direction there I’m sure.

Do several days at a game farm back home a week or two before you head to SD...if you start SD on a prime piece of private ground, the rest of your trip might pale...there’s birds to be had hunting public ground, ditches, etc...you’re gonna have a challenge getting on private ground solo...

Taking up your other hunting goal for finding retirement places, I can't fault the logic of putting Chamberlain at the top of the list for both hunting and houses. You will certainly find as many birds and hunting opportunities there as you would in Aberdeen or Gettysburg. See this recent thread for why others have recommended the same for retirement:

You will get lots of excellent advice and feedback on this site for solo hunting with dogs. Lots of posters here who's ideal hunt is walking with multiple, well trained dogs from sun up to sun down, alone. Seeing another hunter in the fields can ruin their day. Keep in mind that perspective when considering their advice as it may not be an exact fit for what you need right now. I see your likely needs as different from doing hardcore dog hunting when getting started. For first time hunters, I try and steer them to showing up for opening weekend for these reasons-

• The birds are most plentiful and least wily, giving new-comers the best chance for close-in shots.
  • There's more hunter competition but in your case you will have reserved spots available with guides and most of the public hunting pressure goes away after the first 3-4 days of the season.
  • It does tend to be hotter so you can't run the dogs all day but I doubt that is your highest priority with this trip.
  • Crops being out does help solo hunters later in the season as it concentrates the smarter birds in cover areas for their quick daily trips out. But the opening weekend numbers and dumb birds around more than make up for the ones that escape into the standing corn.
  • There are more opportunities for local hunting banquets, steak/pancake feeds and town fairs to help get you connected with the locals and other hunters which gives it more of a holiday type vibe and the best insight into seeing if you think the local culture will be right for you. Especially for a spouse that wants opportunities to socialize in an easy setting.

Taking up your other hunting goal for finding retirement places, I can't fault the logic of putting Chamberlain at the top of the list for both hunting and houses. You will certainly find as many birds and hunting opportunities there as you would in Aberdeen or Gettysburg. See this recent thread for why others have recommended the same for retirement:

You will get lots of excellent advice and feedback on this site for solo hunting with dogs. Lots of posters here who's ideal hunt is walking with multiple, well trained dogs from sun up to sun down, alone. Seeing another hunter in the fields can ruin their day. Keep in mind that perspective when considering their advice as it may not be an exact fit for what you need right now. I see your likely needs as different from doing hardcore dog hunting when getting started. For first time hunters, I try and steer them to showing up for opening weekend for these reasons-

• The birds are most plentiful and least wily, giving new-comers the best chance for close-in shots.
  • There's more hunter competition but in your case you will have reserved spots available with guides and most of the public hunting pressure goes away after the first 3-4 days of the season.
  • It does tend to be hotter so you can't run the dogs all day but I doubt that is your highest priority with this trip.
  • Crops being out does help solo hunters later in the season as it concentrates the smarter birds in cover areas for their quick daily trips out. But the opening weekend numbers and dumb birds around more than make up for the ones that escape into the standing corn.
  • There are more opportunities for local hunting banquets, steak/pancake feeds and town fairs to help get you connected with the locals and other hunters which gives it more of a holiday type vibe and the best insight into seeing if you think the local culture will be right for you. Especially for a spouse that wants opportunities to socialize in an easy setting.
Thanks!

Back