bunktheclown

Found this forum only a couple days ago and figured I would join as I don't know many upland guys in my area. Grew up in the mid-west and have hunted upland since I was a boy. I have a 3yr old GSP that is a great pointer but not the best retriever. I live in Colfax but am a member of Knights Landing Sportsman's club and chase Pheasants in the sutter basin area around Robbins and Knights Landing. I also hunt Dove in the area as well. I really would like to get into some quail, chuckers and grouse but none of the guys I hunt ditch chickens with hunt anything else.

-jb

Welcome to UPH, please share some pics of your pup and stories from some of your hunts with us. There aren't a whole lot of dedicated upland hunters in Californian but there are a few of us around. Colfax should make a great starting point for some quail and grouse hunts, focus you efforts between 5-8,000ft elevation for mountain quail and grouse and below 5k for Ca quail in suitable habitat. East over the Sierras and north towards Susanville for chukar or south to Mojave for chuks and gambel's quail for a real adventure. The Mojave preserve is absolutely gorgeous and full of game when good rains permit. This year will be a tough one but don't get discouraged, the hunting can be very good throughout the state when the weather cooperates.:cheers:

I will most definitely share any stories and adventures for the upcoming season. Actually getting very excited for the start of Dove season in 4 days! I attached a photo of some roosters and my dog from last season.

Nice looking dog you have there, that cover looks like there should be a few quail around amongst all those vines. I've had some luck quail hunting at Spenceville and Oroville wildlife areas which aren't that bad of a drive from you but I bet you could find plenty of quail closer. I look forward to some stories from you, good luck monday.

Back