new member from Wisconsin

I think when he said Watertown, some folks thoughts he meant Watertown, WI - between Milwaukee and Madison.

Sharptails take the cold and heavy snow much better then pheasants. Sharpies will get up into the wind and fly for many miles if need be to find food and shelter.
Good years and bad years in the crop areas numbers of birds fluctuate a lot.
Go to the grasslands and breaks country for more consistent grouse populations.

Sharptails take the cold and heavy snow much better then pheasants. Sharpies will get up into the wind and fly for many miles if need be to find food and shelter.

I have noticed they like to be on the less windy side of a hill also.

I am interested in going to the Sandhills of Nebraska on a sharptail hunt possible this fall.Does anyone know where to get maps or places to hunt for the Sandhills of Nebraska that are open to the public.

I'm a little late to the conversation but welcome, it's nice to see another person from the Eau Claire area on here. I know that if ou go to the nebraska website they should be able to send you maps of the sandhills area, they were handing out hunting atlas's at pheasant fest this year. Congrats on the puppy as well where is he from?

I'm a little late to the conversation but welcome, it's nice to see another person from the Eau Claire area on here. I know that if ou go to the nebraska website they should be able to send you maps of the sandhills area, they were handing out hunting atlas's at pheasant fest this year. Congrats on the puppy as well where is he from?

Hey I did just that.I contacted the Nebraska Fish and Game andthey are sending me all the information I need.I hope anyway.I am planning a trip to the SandHills for 4 or 5 days and than travel up to South eastern Montana were I have hunted before with pretty good success.There is a lot of BLM land in that location.I plan to hunt in that location for 4 of 5 days and then head home.I probably don't live far from you.I live 500 yards from Fanny Hill.I got the pup from a guy in Chetek,Wi.He is going up to Grouse Point Kennels for 6 to 7 weeks of advanced training in about a week.

Your right I don't live to far from you, I live in Rock Falls, just south of town. Glad to hear you found a pup you are happy with. Have you ever hunted out towards Rock Falls, or the muddy creek bottom? If so we've probably corssed paths without even knowing it. sending you a pm as well.

no I have not.I have not hunted Wisconsin for a few years,because I have not seen many birds around thru out the summer or fall.

Wisconsin Hunting

There are more birds then you might thing but you have to be willing to take chances and work a little harder and don't aways count on any one spot to much.

bird hunting

thanks for the tip.Hey another person from Wisconsin.Thats great.I get about 3 weeks of upland hunting every year,so I am going to hit Wisconsin pretty hard for about a week straight.I am going to try and cover a large area of northren Wis.that I have hunted years past and hop around and camp.Kinda make what you might call a tour.

Back