New in MN from FL

merlin13

Hello all, my name is DeWayne. After moving to Belle Plaine, MN and wanting to get outside a little more during the fall and winter, I decided pheasant hunting might be best. Although I would love to get into all types of hunting here in MN I want to take one step at a time. My son begging for a dog, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to get a dog that would be good for pheasants. We bought a Britt, and named him Merlin. Sent him through training, bird and gun intro and then 4 week gun dog program. Hoping to get him out on some birds soon. We are transplants from FL so not familiar with pheasant hunting. Could use some advice and would love to tag along with someone if they wouldn't mind a new pheasant hunter and his dog. Although new to pheasant hunting have been hunting since I was a child.

Welcome Merlin13,

Ask a way we are good people on this sight. We will help you if you ask. Uph is not a sight that attacks you. Check us out.:)

Yes, but I love the nice mild winters here. Just kidding. Work brought us here. We left for a while but we just love it here.

Actually I do love the cold weather and snow. The wife is learning to dislike it since she does in home daycare and has to keep the little ones in all winter.

Welcome to MN. and to -15 degree temps - bet you wish you were in Fl!

You live north of a good shooting club/preserve - Traxler's. Google them and you can learn all about what they provide. To join is a bit pricey, but it can afford you with a year-round site to hunt.

Another good site is Major Avenue Hunt Club - Biscay, Mn. Less expensive and my personal favorite, in the immediate area.

I found it very helpful to continue live bird experiences with your dog - keeps imprinting the dog and shaping his/her behavior. Game farms are very useful in a continual exposure to birds and hunting.

Good luck.

Back