New Hunter

Good evening. I'm new to the UPH forums and looking to get some information from you all. I'm supposed to be headed out to Kansas for my first ever pheasant hunt next weekend, and don't know much at all about what get I'm needing to bring. I know clothes and gonna be bringing a good pair of rocky waterproof slip on boots, but other than that I'm mostly lost.
My father and I will be coming together so killing some birds will be just the icing on the cake. He carried me for years, and so now I'm excited about putting together a hunt he can enjoy.

We shoot Browning 12 gauges, one is a BPS and the other a Gold Hunter. Both have 26" barrels. Now, I'm wondering what choke and what loads are going to be my best bets to to use. Can you guys give me any insight? Gonna be hunting around the Pratt area, so hopefully we'll have a great trip. I can't wait!

First off, welcome to the forum MCO!
Try putting Improved cylinder chokes in. Modified would be second.
#6 shot is my favorite, but #5's will do just fine also.
If you have dogs, bring PLENTY of water while out.
Collapsible water bowls work great.
Snacks for you and them are great.
Enjoy, and I hope you and your Dad have the best of times!
Jsdriggs

Your right last year my dogs hated the local water.:D

If you do have dogs there are a few sand burrs in that area, so you might have to boot them up. The crp grass in that area is pretty thick, and the birds have been holding real tight, so walk slowly and take your time. I know the walk in area about 8 miles north has been hit pretty hard it is a nice crp field, and there are a few south and west that also looked good. Good luck.

Rod

Back