New Hunter to MN

Fathead

Hey guys and gals

My nephew recently picked up pheasant hunting. He is 16 and has literally gone everyday he could go if he wasnt working. We have a 4 year old lab we are working with but he is not the greatest. Would like to see him have a shot at getting a pheasant but so far his effort has yet to even let him see a bird. Picked up a license and a gun and went with him. First day we went out to Farmington and did the WMA out there. After checking the Density report we tried Carver today at the WMA both nothing. Any advise other then drive him to South Dakota so he can see a pheasant? Spots or time of day. We went to Farmington in the MN and today we hit Carver about 11am.

Thanks in advance.

Time of Day

The first hour and the last hour of the day are the most productive. Especially with the weather being in the 60's like today.
I would also look for land that has food plots or are bordered by fields that have soil not worked yet so the birds have corn to feed on. Focus on the edges of the field and work your way in.

If the dog has no experience on birds you may want to take it to a game farm just so it can get the idea of out in the field=hunting for pheasants.

Good luck! The birds are out there where your hunting.

The first hour and the last hour of the day are the most productive. Especially with the weather being in the 60's like today.
I would also look for land that has food plots or are bordered by fields that have soil not worked yet so the birds have corn to feed on. Focus on the edges of the field and work your way in.

If the dog has no experience on birds you may want to take it to a game farm just so it can get the idea of out in the field=hunting for pheasants.

Good luck! The birds are out there where your hunting.

Any Idea where one of these game farms would be? Everywhere I look wants me to rent there dogs

Game Farms

Look up Traxlers in LeSeur County. They have nice fields you can hunt and they allow you to go out 1 time per year without joining (they do charge a 10 dollar visitor fee).

There is also one out in Belle Plaine that is close by (sorry I can't remember the name). The guy out there also knows people that raise birds and if your nice he will get you the number and you can just bring birds to the field with you to your local WMA. If you choose this route out of season make sure you look up the reg because the birds have to be properly tagged.

Good luck

Fathead no need to take him all the way to SD, but SW or West Central Minnesota will have higher Pheasant densities than closer to the cities. Besides that there is an abundant amount of public land in both of those regions. If traveling up to 3 hours is too long for you to make a day trip then spend the night somewhere and make it 2 days.

Right now the Firearms deer season is going on so if your not comfortable bird hunting with that going on then you might want to wait a week or so. Where ever you go bring plenty of orange along to wear.

Keep at it, he'll get his chances. :cheers:

There is also one out in Belle Plaine that is close by (sorry I can't remember the name). The guy out there also knows people that raise birds and if your nice he will get you the number and you can just bring birds to the field with you to your local WMA. If you choose this route out of season make sure you look up the reg because the birds have to be properly tagged.Good luck

I checked into this once and was told releasing pen raised birds for training or otherwise on public (Federal WPA's) management areas is prohibited. Granted, I was asking about WPA's, but I would assume the same to be true about State land as well. I would double check to be sure. The reason given was to prevent possible disease from being introduced through the pen raised birds.

Thanks guys for all the help so far. Might have to check in to Traxlers to get the dog out to see a bird. He needs to learn to keep his nose down and smell. Once he smells something he is good at keeping on it but he likes to run with his head up to much. Gonna get a training dummy and some pheasant sent and drag it around and let him find it. Any other tips

I checked into this once and was told releasing pen raised birds for training or otherwise on public (Federal WPA's) management areas is prohibited. Granted, I was asking about WPA's, but I would assume the same to be true about State land as well. I would double check to be sure. The reason given was to prevent possible disease from being introduced through the pen raised birds.
Wait till the wind is blowing toward the public and toss him in the air in the oppisite right of way with no cover, oops he flew toward the cover. I wouldn't worry about it, it is harmless. As long as it is a rooster then you can go after him. Just make sure you get your game bird reciept. We buy and use adult birds all the time. No law says you can't release birds in MN

Are you sure Ken? I specifically talked to either U.S Fish and Wildlife or DNR, can't remember. I agree releasing Pen birds on private land is no problem, but was specifically told it's a no-no on the Federal WPA's. :confused:

You have to apply for a permit for dog training purposes through the DNR. You can download the PDF application on the DNR website. Not sure how to attach to this post or I would. If you are interested in it, let me know and I will forward you the application.

Back