New guy from NW MT

Mapledog

Hey everyone!

Just moved to NW MT a few months ago and am giving my hand a try at sharpies and huns for the opener coming up! Only really hunted game bird pheasants and lots of ruffed grouse before so I’m excited for this new challenge and to watch my 4 year old lab work!

How do you all handle hunting early season with the chance of a run in with a rattler? My plan is to hunt early and stay away from rock crops. Any other helpful tips and hints?

Thanks and good luck this season! Shoot straight and enjoy the time with your pup!

Well someone who lives in the area will tell you to snake break your dog and wear snake chaps. Me who lives where there is no opportunity to snake break my dogs just waits until the temps start going down to hunt. Heat in the early season is probably more of a danger than snakes . Welcome aboard.

Well someone who lives in the area will tell you to snake break your dog and wear snake chaps. Me who lives where there is no opportunity to snake break my dogs just waits until the temps start going down to hunt. Heat in the early season is probably more of a danger than snakes . Welcome aboard.
Thank you!

I also hunt with labs early season (Montana resident).
Typically I hunt from home, starting at dawn each weekday when it is cool (50s).
I start with 2 hour hunts the first few weeks, alternating labs each day to toughen up their feet
and hill climbing muscles.
Hunting at dawn minimizes the likelihood of rattler activity as well as hunting in areas
that are not rocky or sandy.
Snakeproofing is also a good way to train the dog to avoid them.
Usually you can find one in Montana in August:
https://mhgdc.org/wp/event/snake-break-clinic/

Thank you! My plan is to hunt early morning for 2-3 hours before the heat becomes too much! I will take a look for future classes! Good luck this year!

Thanks everyone for reaching out with suggestions! I was able to avoid any rattle snake interaction (other than a dead one on the road in) and got into a few birds! Thanks again and good luck this season!

Attachments

• IMG_5407.jpeg
    IMG_5407.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Back