New Gun

fuller

After shooting the same gun for the last 30 years I sprung for a new Whinchester SX3 a gift for myself. I know 30 years is a long time between guns but the old gun (Whinchester 120) has never failed me so I didn't see the reason or did the wife to spend the $$$'s on a new gun. I love the feel of the new gun and how it comes up to my shoulder and have had the opprutunity to take it out duck/goose hunting a couple times but struggle at hitting anything compared to the old gun. So here is my question do I just need to get use to the new gun and get it dialed in or do I break it down and start playing with the shims that came with the gun? I have shot some cardboard targets and it patterns nicely and is pretty much were I am aiming but with a moving target just not really were I want it to be.:confused:
Thanks!

Best thing I have found is to get a pigeon thrower and throw the same target repeatedly until you hit it nearly every time.

Are the barrels longer or shorter than your old gun? Heavier/lighter? Different balance? Difference in LOP, DAC, DAH or Cast?

Last edited:
the barrels are the same lenght, the new gun is about 1/2 pound lighter. For the most part everything seems the same. The only real difference is the old gun is a pump and the new one is a semi-auto

the barrels are the same lenght, the new gun is about 1/2 pound lighter. For the most part everything seems the same. The only real difference is the old gun is a pump and the new one is a semi-auto

probably all in your head, get used to it, use it and learn to love the new, by testing it you did that part right

cheers

If the new gun mounts the same as your pump, and POA and POI are on, the lighter weight and lack of having to rack shells might have you swinging the gun too fast and shooting ahead of the target. I would agree with McFarmer, just get out and bust some clays until you get used to the new gun. Try slowing everything down a little.

Back