New Gun Yips!

4shot

My preferred gun is a Benelli M2. I’ve shot hundreds of rounds trough it, and can operate it with my eyes closed. I got a new sxs, and can’t wait to use it. I’m surprised how many mishaps I’ve had operating it. Forgot to load it dove hunting, not flipping the thumb safety on multiple times, trying to keep shooting after 2 shots. Was wondering if anyone else struggled operating different guns that are not similar. Missed a couple doves not flipping on the safety. If I miss a pheasant I will be so mad at myself

You'll get better but maybe not ever great. Different safeties still get me but going back and forth from double triggers to single are no problem. I never did master a release trigger either. Keep shooting!!

I've shot an over/under my entire life. I picked up an M2 this off season. I absolutely love it, but it did take awhile to adjust to the safety.

That is why I use one gun, have several, but they always seem to become back-ups to the 11-87. I am not the shooter that many here seem to be, switching back and forth, changing guns to chase this or that. I will hit the field this year (6 weeks from yesterday), having not taken a shot with my shotgun since my last shot at a pheasant last season and I should be just fine.

Put the Benelli away and stick the the double if you are going to/want to use it. It might take days, weeks, months or maybe years to get to where you have the same relationship with the new gun. Guess it depends on your level as a shooter and how much shooting you do. My buddy did this same thing last season, it was a disaster until he switched back to a gun he knew and was familiar with and had his best season ever.

Last edited:
It definitely takes time to become adjusted to a new gun. Before I got my Browning Maxus which has the safety on the side, I was using a Browning pump with the thumb safety. First time hunting with the Maxus (I had shot clays with it before however) a bird gets up and I fumbled around trying to find the safety and never got a shot off. Fast forward how many years later, I know that gun inside and out and can operate it blind folded. It just takes some time.

Another reason for me not to be excited about participating in CC. Being proficient with a weapon takes a lot of time Don’t matter what you shoot as long your good at what you shoot

Hunting happens fast. Identifying a target, quick search of the background, estimation of the bird's trajectory/speed, taking the safety off, mounting the gun, levelling the barrel, locking on and pulling the trigger can all happen within a second. Adjust any of those and I think it's rational that mishaps can occur quite easily. I'd maybe spend a few minutes each day removing the safety and mounting the gun, wash, rinse, repeat.

Practice and practice at home with mounting and swinging thru. More birds are missed due to incorrect gun mount than any other reason.
Could be bulky clothes, stiff and sore shoulders, gun fit, etc., etc., etc. While hunting practice gun mount every 10-15 min on imaginary birds to
keep that mounting action smooth. I know it will improve your kill percentage. With the right gun and mount, it becomes almost automatic.
Try it

This is part of why I bought the same gun in a 12 and a 20. Muscle memory is perfectly the same between them.

Definitely go do some trap with it to build that instinct up. Worst feeling in the world when you spend a full day hunting pheasants, only to miss your one opportunity by missing the safety.

My preferred gun is a Benelli M2. I’ve shot hundreds of rounds trough it, and can operate it with my eyes closed. I got a new sxs, and can’t wait to use it. I’m surprised how many mishaps I’ve had operating it. Forgot to load it dove hunting, not flipping the thumb safety on multiple times, trying to keep shooting after 2 shots. Was wondering if anyone else struggled operating different guns that are not similar. Missed a couple doves not flipping on the safety. If I miss a pheasant I will be so mad at myself
Nope, because I live on the northern prairie. I hunt a lot.

Back