New from Southern WI

Sundance1908

Hey All,

I'm brand new to the forum and call Southern Wisconsin home. I'm 30 years old, I've been hunting since I could carry a gun at 12, and will be picking up my first bird dog (llewellin setter) in two short weeks. I've always hunted with dogs, but never had a bird dog of my own.

I'll be splitting my coming season hunting public land near home for pheasant and up north outside of Mercer where I'll be chasing ruffed grouse. I hope to get out and meet my buddy in Eastern Montana for a week long hunt in October.

Welcome to the site from another Wisconsin hunter (South eastern between Milwaukee and Greenbay)

Thanks all, looking forward to a hunting season with my own bird dog. I'll be sure and post pictures when the little guy comes home.

“I hope to get out and meet my buddy in Eastern Montana for a week long hunt in October.”
It may be wiser to get a season of experience first with your new partner before venturing off on such a big hunt right away.

It may be wiser to get a season of experience first with your new partner before venturing off on such a big hunt right away.
Thanks for the input Winchester30, just curious, why would you put off that hunt until next year?

Long hunt on a young dog/ pup, travel stress.
High expectations of a young dog/ new dog owner, no disrespect intended.

Not sure if you’re running more than one dog or not, but it’s very easy for any dog to get injury sidelined (example: cut or torn paw pad) on an out of state trip, thus altering your plans significantly.

I prefer to get a season of hunts first in order to see my dog’s capabilities and real conditioning.
I’ve heard stories from other guys pushing their dogs when they’re exhausted and/ or showing symptoms of a minor injury in order to selfishly salvage the remaining days of their hunt. Not saying that you would.
If you do go, bring a fishing pole. Then, plan a break for your pup after a couple days and then you also have a back up plan (fishing) in case something unexpected comes up.

Join a local training group and ask questions/ get tips from others too.

Good luck and have fun training the new pup.
You can pm me if you want to expand on this or get some additional tips if you go.

Long hunt on a young dog/ pup, travel stress.
High expectations of a young dog/ new dog owner, no disrespect intended.
No disrespect taken, I'm always looking to learn and glean information from those who've done it before. The last thing I want is to push the young pup too far or set him up for failure right out of the gate. Thank you for the response!

Welcome to you. I used to have a son-in-law that was from Mercer. Mixer Family. You will love that hunt in Eastern Montana. I went out that way a few years back for Sharptails and Huns. Great place to hunt. Get the book Gun Dog by Wolters, Great read. If you hunt Grouse and Pheasant it might be a tough transition for a young dog. Good Luck to you...

Back