New dog skunk kit

Mosby

I am putting together a new dog skunk kit to keep in my truck for training and the upcoming hunting season. Hoping to get out several weeks this year, so I figure it's only a matter of time and most of my hunting is out of state, so I need to bring what I need with me.

- A 32 oz bottle of Skout's Honor skunk odor eliminator.
- Nature's Miracle skunk shampoo
- Peroxide/Baking soda/Dish soap

I've been lucky. Haven't had a dog skunked since I was a kid. I'm planning on a trifecta approach. Start with the peroxide and baking soda mixture. Let that set for about 30-45 minutes and then use the odor eliminator. Follow that up with a bath with anti skunk shampoo. Hopefully, the smell is tolerable after.

Anyone found other products or brands that work well for skunk odor?

I thought I was pretty much over dogs being skunked , use to have one that would get skunked every year.
I found that with him if you ran him or even got him wet and ran him some more you’d get rid of most of the smell. They say you’re not supposed to get them wet but he was an oily coated dog.
Last year both of my dogs got skunked together one day. Pretty good skunking actually. I made sure to hunt them for a couple hours more before going back to the truck. And then hunted them hard the next field. With them and the dog before I found that putting a lot of miles on them is the best way to get rid of the smell. Last year with the two I slept with them that night truck camping and it wasn’t really that offensive. The collar straps seems to be the hardest thing to get it out of. I threw it in some coffee grounds when I got home

I am putting together a new dog skunk kit to keep in my truck for training and the upcoming hunting season. Hoping to get out several weeks this year, so I figure it's only a matter of time and most of my hunting is out of state, so I need to bring what I need with me.

- A 32 oz bottle of Skout's Honor skunk odor eliminator.
- Nature's Miracle skunk shampoo
- Peroxide/Baking soda/Dish soap

I've been lucky. Haven't had a dog skunked since I was a kid. I'm planning on a trifecta approach. Start with the peroxide and baking soda mixture. Let that set for about 30-45 minutes and then use the odor eliminator. Follow that up with a bath with anti skunk shampoo. Hopefully, the smell is tolerable after.

Anyone found other products or brands that work well for skunk odor?
I have the skout's, but fortunately haven't tried it yet. But I can vouch for the peroxide and dawn soap. The dawn is key as it dissolves the oil that the scent is made of. Another key is do not use water until the rinse. I retired from a C.A.T. dealership. We went through cases of it yearly. Used it mainly to flush oil from radiators and such. That's why they used to show them using it on ducks in the commercials!

I have the skout's, but fortunately haven't tried it yet. But I can vouch for the peroxide and dawn soap. The dawn is key as it dissolves the oil that the scent is made of. Another key is do not use water until the rinse. I retired from a C.A.T. dealership. We went through cases of it yearly. Used it mainly to flush oil from radiators and such. That's why they used to show them using it on ducks in the commercials!
I bought Dawn dish soap for my kit. I've been told that it makes a difference. That and don't get them wet or rinse them off until after putting the peroxide/baking soda/dawn mixture in their coat for a while. The Skout's has good reviews and a local high end groomer uses it, so I got it to have. Can't hurt.

Things are slow this time of year, so I enjoy working on stuff like this and getting organized for when the season rolls around. I bought a new large golf umbrella at Costco for my truck, for those nights when we're in a motel and I have to take the dogs out in the rain. Something I thought about when I got soaking wet a couple times last year. My dogs like to take their sweet time when it's raining.

There is also that plant based skunk odor that seems to me more prevalent (city, village, country side) every day. Fortunately it does not get on dogs.

OdoBan is a liquid that worked pretty well for me. Recommended to my brother-in-law by dog trainers that work in our area over the summer. I will try the dawn/peroxide/baking soda dry as the first step next time, then rinse, then OdoBan if it is still needed. Thx for the tips! Hopefully there won't be a next time!

I get 1-2 skunk encounters a year. I live in the city and take the dog out in surrounding fields around the city near sunset or super early. To many drainage ditches ect. I used Natures Miracles and havegood luck with the Hy. P and baking soda trick. Agree that keep hunting and running through the grass helps. You know who your friends are when the dog gets sprayed and you need to clean them up.

Twice last year someone else's dog in the group got skunked while hunting. Both of those dogs were kenneled in pickup beds, so no worries until they got home. I've had a dogs get skunked on an early morning training run, on golf-course exercise runs, and in my own backyard. The older one avoids them now, and seems to remember the places where it happened. The younger one isn't so smart, or doesn't mind the de-skunking process as much. Best results for me have been with the dawn, hp, baking soda and I keep it around all the time.

As someone who unfortunately has more experience with their dogs getting sprayed than I ever wanted, I’ll give you my tips/advice.

I’ve never had my dogs sprayed while actually hunting. But I run two GWP’s for hunting and work, and they find quite a few skunks working Vineyards. Last fall my dogs got sprayed six times in 40 days!

Things you wanna have on hand.
- disposable nitrile gloves. Get a box. You will want to put these on before starting your wash process. Great for easy cleanup, and processing birds as well.
- an extra collar for each dog.
- an extra GPS collar strap for each dog
- scouts honor skunk deodorizer
- Natures miracle skunk odor remover. This is different than natures Miracle skunk odor shampoo. Usually the shampoo is lavender scented. The skunk odor remover is amazing. The shampoo only so-so. Does a better job of covering up the scent than neutralizing it.

If you have to transport your dog in a kennel before washing, make sure to remove the crate pad first before loading your dog up. If you can clean your dog within 15 minutes of getting sprayed, you’ll have the best results, and you won’t even know the dog was ever sprayed. you’ll still get good results even if it takes longer. But the sooner the better.

Put on nitrol gloves, remove collars, douse the affected area (Usually head/face/neck) with scouts honor and work it in really well. Wait 3–5 minutes and rinse dog off. Let dog shake for a minute or two to dry out then repeat process with nature miracles skunk odor remover. After a thorough dousing wait 5– 10 minutes rinse dog again. Dog should be clean without any residual smell. If not completely scent free repeat the process again.

Throwaway the collar and GPS collar strap. You might be able to get them sent free after a couple months sitting outside. But it’s just way easier to put on new collar and new gps collar strap on. I keep 4 of each in my dog go bag.
You may have to scrub the heck out of your GPS unit with skunk odor remover to try to get the scent off the actual sending unit.

For good measure during this process I make sure to repeatedly tell my dogs they’re being water boarded because they were hunting black and white cats. I’m hoping they understand what I’m saying some day lol.

Chase

I carry the Dawn dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in a plastic shoe box with a lid that I bought in Walmart. It goes in the top of my dog box. I haven't had my dog skunked in many years but my buddies Brittany got it last year. There is a reason that I have a nice dog box in the back of my pickup, he puts a kennel in the back seat! The kennel went in the back of his truck and luckily I had an old blanket that we covered the kennel with for the long cold ride home!

Back