New Coop

OKRev

Other than some door bobs, my new coop is ready for some pigeons. Blended a few different plans together to come up with this little guy that was pretty fun to build.

Nice job.

Never kept pigeons, so don't know how you start a flock and whether it grows by itself with strangers dropping by, or do you have to add birds as you go along?

I'd guess food and water take care of the sustenance issues. You use special nest stuff, or don't pigeons need that sort of special bedding?

Great job.

Thanks. Are those shelves that can be removed and cleaned? We will use pigeons this year.

Yes, the nesting boxes are about 12x12. On each side of the center are a pair of nesting boxes with a a 4" divider between them so nesting pairs can defend an old nest while establishing the new one. The front panels all have a hinge on them so they can be opened and the old material scraped out. Rather than buy the expensive nesting pads that you can take out I'm going to see how some Chinet plates work to keep them clean.

Nice job.

Never kept pigeons, so don't know how you start a flock and whether it grows by itself with strangers dropping by, or do you have to add birds as you go along?

I'd guess food and water take care of the sustenance issues. You use special nest stuff, or don't pigeons need that sort of special bedding?

Great job.

I've never personally kept pigeons, that was always my Grandpa's job. From what I understand it's fairly easy to start a flock. Get some squeakers and let them get established and comfortable in their new home. Then you can start homing them by introducing them to the recall door and then taking them on short flights. They will pair up and supposedly reproduce at a rate that you will have to do some prevention with fake eggs to keep the females from getting worn out. I'm not planning on killing any because I'm not a fan of squab so hopefully I'll have some to sell next year.

As far as nesting material I have a wire cone in the cage full of straw and things for them to use, I don't think they're too picky they don't really make beautiful nests.

Back